Do you think I need to add chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckiesAndBees, May 10, 2011.

1. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    I'd like to know what you think of my duck enclosure and if I should add more protection. The current setup is a fence dog kennel (12x6) with chicken wire over the top (zip-tied every few inches). There is a tarp over part of it for them to have some shade, and a kiddie pool. There is also a large dog house with ventilated door. I shut them in the house every night. My question is, should I add chicken wire around the bottom few feet of the kennel? I live in the city so the area is mostly free from predators, but there is a feral cat that roams around and we have seen racoons. I would feel really bad if something got to my ducks, but it's nice to be able to put the pool drain hose through the wire. As a side note, when people quote "10 sq ft per duck," should I be including the area where the pool is? Thanks for any input!

2. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    You are wasting your money on chicken wire. A raccoon with shred right through it. Get hardware cloth instead. Much stronger and safer.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 and so say all of us.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I went with the hardware cloth for their nighttime enclosure. I have coated chicken wire around the outside of the day pen (which is coated 2"x4" woven wire, top and bottom) and coated chain link underneath the whole thing.

I also have electric wire at about 6" and 20" around their nighttime enclosure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by