Do you think I need to add chicken wire?

DuckiesAndBees

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I'd like to know what you think of my duck enclosure and if I should add more protection. The current setup is a fence dog kennel (12x6) with chicken wire over the top (zip-tied every few inches). There is a tarp over part of it for them to have some shade, and a kiddie pool. There is also a large dog house with ventilated door. I shut them in the house every night. My question is, should I add chicken wire around the bottom few feet of the kennel? I live in the city so the area is mostly free from predators, but there is a feral cat that roams around and we have seen racoons. I would feel really bad if something got to my ducks, but it's nice to be able to put the pool drain hose through the wire. As a side note, when people quote "10 sq ft per duck," should I be including the area where the pool is? Thanks for any input!

You are wasting your money on chicken wire. A raccoon with shred right through it. Get hardware cloth instead. Much stronger and safer.

I went with the hardware cloth for their nighttime enclosure. I have coated chicken wire around the outside of the day pen (which is coated 2"x4" woven wire, top and bottom) and coated chain link underneath the whole thing.

I also have electric wire at about 6" and 20" around their nighttime enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom