Do you think my hen is laying elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginormous chicken, Feb 26, 2011.

1. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I have an Old English Game Bird Bantam. After I got her she started laying. She was laying every other day for a while. Then she caught some type of respiratory infection. [​IMG] She got locked out the coop one night in the rain. Uncertain what to do, I gave her 3 days of injections of Tylan 50. She cleared up but stopped laying. I wasn't surprised because she was sick. Recently I found one of her eggs in the nest box. That was about 1 week and a half ago. I haven't found one since. I know they are hers because of my 7 chickens only the OEBG and the Maran are laying. So my question is 3 fold. a. Can I eat the egg that she gave me a week and a half ago... it's been a month since those Tylan injections? b. Is it possible that she is laying somewhere beside the nest box? She does tend to diappear. c. If she is how would I go about finding it?

2. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    anyone? [​IMG]

3. redheadmama13

redheadmama13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    Florida
    I am not sure about question a...but as for questions b and c - if she is free range then absolutely she might be laying elsewhere. We had several decide to lay in a very overgrown clump of palms last year. My husband figured it out because he noticed some of the girls disappearing in there every so often (one at a time). We collected the eggs from there and put fake eggs in the nest. Then we kept them in for a few days. This solved the problem, although it did take a second round of keeping in for a few days, so maybe a week at the get go would have been better.

4. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Not familiar with Tylan, My girls are not laying now, Molting and 3 of them got into a fight with a neighbors dog and haven't layed since!! One of them is cripled and may never lay I know that the vet told me they would probably stop do to the trauma, well it's been 2 weeks! so hang in there.

5. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I just found a treasure trove of eggs from 2 of my hens that I knew where probably laying, but couldn't find them. I found 7 light brown eggs from one hen and 4 green eggs from an Americanaus mix hen. I had recently moved them to another coop and they free range during the day with lots of potential hiding spots. I found the clutch before dark today, marked all of them and put them in a few nesting boxes back in their new coop. I don't know if this will entice them to lay their next eggs in the same spot, but at least I know where they have been laying to collect them.
    I also am hoping that the 2 silkie hens in that pen will go broody and hatch some these eggs. I am a hopeless newbie, but I can't argue with the chicken match addiction! someone help me!!!!!

6. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Cans someone tell me if I can eat eggs after I gave Tylan 50 a month ago?

7. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I have an update!!!

My OEGB is laying elsewhere. I have a giant berumuda bush in the corner of the yard. She didn't come back to roost (again) and today I went hunting. I was guesing that would be the only place for her really. She popped out of the middle of the bush! The bush is a monstrosity! I am going to go in there and hack it down and take out Gosh knows how many eggs! Crazy dang bird!

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] Mystery solved!

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Gotta love those sneaky chickens. I once found a hidden nest with 17 eggs in it. [​IMG] The dogs feasted well that week.

Tylan withdrawal time is one day after the last dose. So after a day your eggs should be safe to eat.

Good luck.

10. ginormous chicken

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Thanks for the answer to the Tylan question!
    [​IMG]

12 eggs! 1 broken. Sneaky bird! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by