Do you use a chart or anything to keep up with your eggs?

Quote:
I have not even added up the cost of our coop yet. Afraid to.
lol.png

Yes, I've gotten 71 eggs since august 15th. I keep track who and daily. I plan on keeping track for the year.

Quote:
lau.gif
this made me laugh. I asked my hubby if he was trying to fool me by putting store bought eggs in there. He laughed and said NO!! But all the eggs were smaller than any store bought ones, so I know that they didn't come from any store.
lau.gif

It is a mystery that will never be solved I guess.
idunno.gif

I have a little chicken notebook that I keep our records...but only the count each day.
I can only ID about half the eggs to who laid which.
Any other important info I also keep in there.

My pullets have only been laying for about a month but now that all three are laying I am noting on our calendar how many eggs I get each day. I only have three chickens though I figure this way if someone ends up having a problem I'll know and can look into it and make sure they are ok. I have a production red and I worry about her since she is a high production layer. She has only been laying for 2 weeks and her eggs are already the biggest.

It was a tradition of the farmers in our area to keep a sort of diary of all the farm happenings on a calendar. Notes on planting crops,gardens,calving,hog-killing were all on there and the calendars were saved as a journal over the years.

That still makes sense to us so we keep a calendar in the kitchen and mark down things like when we get chicks, when they are moved to the grow-out coop, to the "big-girl coop,daily egg count,entering the number of hen eggs and pullet eggs,any soft-shell or other strange eggs,things like that. We do not even try to track eggs from each hen or egg vs feed cost. For us it's about good fresh eggs and the fun of having chickens. And we do save all the calendars to reference from year to year. It's neat to look back and see how things have progressed.

I work in childcare, and discovered that an attendence sheet was the best way to go for records of laying because it already has a space for name/breed, all days listed with a box for each day and each bird for the month, and space in the bottom to total it up. My hens lay a variety of eggs, but I have only about 7 old enough to lay, and I am very familiar with their personal eggs, i.e. the color, size, shape.

My RIR lays "bullet" eggs that are almost a cherry colored brown and skinny
My BR lays a GINORMOUS light brown egg
My Andalusian lays a large white egg
My Dominique lays a medium brown with speckles
My White Bantam Cochin lays a tiny cream colored egg
My Blue Bantam Cochin lays a medium pointy at both ends creamy egg
My silkie lays a small rounded creamy egg

At the moment though, my silkie is broody with chicks, my white cochin is molting, my RIR is just not laying (mini molt?), my Dom is not laying (mini molt?), my BR isn't laying (same thing?) so the only eggs I MAY get daily are the blue cochin and andalusian...
roll.png

I downloaded Steve's Chicken Tracker ( free shareware- search BYC for it) about a year ago. DH started keeping track of his eggs and now we have a running record. This is handy to remind us at what age each breed should start laying; how often each breed lays; when one goes broody and what happened; when molts start/stop; how much feed you bought and when. ( No, none of us really want to know that!)
It gives me proof that Cleo's friend has laid all of 4 weeks since last October. She won't last this fall.
Our next task: food coloring on the Blue Orp. I don't think she has laid at ALL since last fall!

We keep a chicken notebook, with # of eggs, any sales, expenses, amount of feed given, treats, and a space for notes. I taped an envelope inside the back cover where I put the receipts, and we put egg money in a canning jar. When it gets full we take it to the bank.

I know who lays which eggs now, because they are each very different. Crockpot's are huge (bigger than jumbo size) and light brown. Oregano's are equal to a store large egg and are very dark brown like chocolate milk color. Barbecue's eggs are also the size of a large store egg and have pale speckles on the big end.

I started to write that once we have 8 layers I probably won't know whose are whose eggs, but that's not true. I will know, because I'm a chicken mom, and that's how I roll.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom