Do you use DE in your run?

6chick*start

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
NE OKlahoma
I am loving the deep litter/DE in the coop. Very lightly sprinkled before laying the pine shavings and a few very light sprinkles since.
It really dries up the poop quickly. I do sift out the big ones every day.

I've not used any in the run though. My run is about 3/4 sand and the rest still some grass. We will be doing a salad bar as well.
My thinking is that you do still want bugs in the run for the chickens to scratch for ? Would the DE eliminate those bugs ?

So I am curious how many use it in their run ...

DE is useless in a run open to the elements, once it gets wet it cakes up and looks horrible also it doesn't work when it's wet. In fact about the only thing DE is good for is keeping the bedding inside the coop dry.

We havent had much rain in SE Texas lately, but when the flies get bad I dust the whole run area with DE twice or so per week and makes a great difference

I use DE anywhere the chickens poo.
smile.png

Okay thanks.
I'm going to go ahead and sprinkle it with the new sand I am adding tomorrow.
I can see how it would cause clumping when wet if you use too much.
But you only use such a slight sprinkling that I doubt that would be a problem.
Flies and walking on messy wet poop in my run, that would be a problem. I spend a lot of time sitting in there with my girls.
BTW, I have added a lot more ventilation on the coop since this picture as well as shade covering on the run.

Quote:
Hahaha! Thank you. The cheapest part was that paint! Exterior Latex at Lowes in the return bin. Full gallons, $5.00each.
I have since added a lovely blue. Had to pay full price for a quart, grr, but it has really kicked it up a notch.
The run is skirted with 1/4" h-cloth about 8" out and we will be putting pavers beyond that.
Lots of coyotes, possum, racoons, country dogs and other digging creatures here.
As well as hawks and owls where I am, in the country, NE OKlahoma.
Yes, I want them to have bugs.

So what'cha doin' way up there? In another life I lived 40 miles from Fairbanks for 2 years and have been up to Prudoe Bay a few times.
Many, many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom