do you use pellet bedding or shavings? which one

Quote:
i am confused.... you are supposed to wet them so they crumble...... into like saw dust.... they shouldn't still be pellets.

Wifezilla they shouldn't hurt your feet if they are used correctly.

i used to work at this store and people love them. they say the start up is more, you need like six bags to do a horse stall but then ad a bag a week or two.
i am using two bags of shavings in a stall and my horses must dance on it all day long. in a days time they have the whole thing a mess and it is hard to pick it out. i go thru alot because they mess them up so quickly.....

Yes you are supposed to wet them to make them crumble. Then they aren't so hard on the feet! I use them in my baby duck brooders, and probably will in the PBP's pen, once he gets moved to his new one! I absolutely love the pellets! They are cheaper and a lot cleaner!

I am a new member, looking into what bedding to use with chicks we hope to raise all winter in our basement. I read that pine shavings make a lot of dust. I did a google search on pine pellets and learned that pine and cedar products release toxic oils which cause respiratory illness in rabbits, rats, humans, and other domestic animals. I couldn't be sure if it applied to chickens as well. I see lots of people using pine shavings for bedding. We use pellets for our wood stove and they are hardwood pellets from Allegheny Pellet company (I gather than not all wood stove pellets are hardwood, some must be pine?) I was told that they burn hotter and are harder to light because they are hardwood, I don't know if that means they also will be less absorbent than pine? Has anyone used hardwood pellets for bedding?

Back
Top Bottom