• Most of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, all of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your stories.
hugs.gif
You , and others on this thread, are walking talking proof that they do work! Thanks to all of you for sharing
smile.png

Quote:
I do: all of the above are in my truck, including wheel chocks. The seat belt cutter/window breaker and the orange vest ride in the driver door pocket so that I can grab them on the way out of the truck. Once I was first on the scene of an accident in which an elderly lady passed out behind the wheel and drove off the road into a ditch (she had a heart attack or something and died at the scene). Her doors were locked and I couldn't get in to help her and couldn't rouse her by beating on the windows. Someone else finally broke a window and got to her, but it was too late. I ended up directing traffic until the police arrived. Right after that I went out and got the vest, seat belt cutter, etc. Like you, I'd rather make room for the stuff than wish I had it.

Quote:
While it is true that seat belts can cause brusing and injuries such as that you might not have without a seat belt, it is not true that they will only keep you safe in accidents going less than 25mph. You are quoting things that are simply not true though I am certain you believe them to be true. For every accident you can name where seat belts caused people to be injured, I can tell you many, many more where they saved lives. Check out these statistics:

Approximately 35,000 people die in motor vehicle crashes each year. About 50 percent (17,000) of these people could be saved if they wore their safety belts.

For every one percent increase in safety belt use, 172 lives and close to $100 million in annual injury and death costs could be saved.

Safety belts when used properly reduce the number of serious traffic injuries by 50 percent and fatalities by 60-70 percent.

Motorists are 25 times are more likely to be killed or seriously injured when they are "thrown clear" than when remain inside their vehicle.

In a 30 m.p.h. collision an unbelted 160 lb. Person can strike another passenger, crash through a windshield and/or slam into the vehicle's interior with a 4,800 lb. force.

Safety belt use is one of the best defenses against the unpredictable actions of the drunk driver.

A common cause of death and injury to children in motor vehicles is being crushed by adults who are not wearing safety belts. One out of four serious injuries to passengers is caused by occupants being thrown into each other.

Of every 100 children who die in motor vehicle crashes at least 80 would survive if they were properly secured in an approved child safety seat or safety belts.

Last edited:
Yes, every single time. The car doesn't move unless everyone is buckled.
Raising kids in the 80s, when seatbelts still weren't much of a big deal, my kids learned from an early age to climb into their car seats and buckle up.

Back
Top Bottom