Do you wish you would have gotten a different breed of chicken now that you have your flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken farmer, Sep 15, 2013.

1. rojororeo

rojororeo Songster

May 14, 2013
    Are the heritage versions of BRs very different? I am new to the chicken thing. I have 3 hatchery BRs, and they don't stand out for my favs, so I have no idea. :)

2. The term heritage is an odd word, sort of in vogue, but the bred to the Standard birds are indeed vastly different. These are true BR, what Barred Rocks are supposed to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Crowing

Mar 3, 2012
    WOW I love them!!!! I have a few hatchery BRs and though I find them striking, your birds are truly stunning. Do you sell hatching eggs?

4. We have.

But, I posted mainly just to show and tell that trued bred birds of all the breeds, are the true birds of the breed. I think it is a shame, in a way, that most people have never seen a true Buff Orp, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, etc. The difference between them and a typical feedstore/hatchery bird is just night and day.

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Crowing

Mar 3, 2012
    You are very correct. I can clearly see that with your birds and then thinking of mine. Thank you for sharing.

6. mg15

mg15 Songster

Aug 22, 2012
    What exactly is the difference from a RIR hatchery and a Heritage one.
    Like is it size, feathers, etc?

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Folks, you cannot buy birds like this from any feed store or hatchery. They don't have them and don't sell them. It is not just the dark color. Color alone doesn't make a Red a Red. It is foremost the brick shape. You cannot get these brick shaped birds except from those who have preserved, bred, shown and passionately kept these great birds going.

Yes, they are generally larger and meatier as well. They are often incredibly calm and friendly as well, a trait not generally associated with a hatchery type Red. Body width is vastly wider, tails are fuller and set lower, chest is much deeper, and the list goes on.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. mg15

mg15 Songster

Aug 22, 2012
    Oh Thank you for the information.
    Then I have to look for a breeder?
    Is this correct ?

9. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I originally chose Golden laced wyandottes and added some silver laced wyandottes with one barred rock. They were suppose to be friendly but they were not - the barred rock was. I ordered a variety pack the next year and I got some great chickens. I went to a chicken show and learned a lot too. I found an old photo of my grandmother and her dominiques and I ordered some. I really love cream leg bars. I had a breeding pair but lost them both last summer. Next spring I am ordering new stock - a roo and 2 pullets. I live on 5 acres so I have room to do it but my chicken run is only about 1000 square feet.

The thing is...stuff happens. Attrition happens, predators happen. If there is a certain kind of chicken you really want and you have room now or eventually, you can get it.

I think you should enjoy and learn from the chickens you have now. Maybe you start a separate flock with a special breed and start with a rooster and 3 pullets.

You can let them flock together or not. I have found that chickens that are not raised together will not flock together or if they have a choice of coops will coop with their flock mates not intermingle.

Hope that helps
    Caroline

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Songster

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You don't have to look for a breeder. But chickens from breeders will more closely match the APA standard of perfection.

Some people don't want to breed chickens, but they take pride in having a breed of chicken bred to the standard.

If you mainly want eggs, then a hatchery chicken is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: