Do you worm as a preventative? If so how often and when?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WyoChickenMamma, Aug 24, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Just wondering if most people only worm when they suspect an issue or if they worm on a regular basis? If so, when (what time of year) do you worm and how often?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I worm 3X a year. Spring, mid Summer and Fall. I have seen round worms in my flock so now I take percautions. depends on where you live, far south probably more often North less, we're right in the middle so thats why 3 X's.

3. missypebble

missypebble Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Miss Lydia - When you worm your chickens 3 times/ yr, what type of worming do you use? I had wormed my chickens with Valbazen about 3 months or so ago and thinking of re-worming them in another month or so...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have used wazine, Zimectrin gold, and Epernix pour-on. Valbazen I have heard is the wormer of choice right now. I haven't used it though. I'll probably use Wazine just because I don't want to waste what I have then use Epernix because I'm using it up too, plus the epernix kills external parasites too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by