Do your chickens “play” with your dog?

Dr Evy

Bird Nerd
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2021
Minnesota
When I first hatched my chickens I was quite nervous about introducing my border collie x poodle mix, Romeo, to the flock, as he can be quite intense around other animals. But to our surprise, it took just about no training for Romeo to learn that they were a part of our pack. Not soon after he was docile with them, he started “playing” with them. It was actually my chicken Bean that initiated this playing. They quite literally play a game of chicken, Romeo will come along next to the flock acting like he’s just sniffing next to them and then Bean will run at him pretending like she’s going to peck him. And as soon as she starts running at Romeo he takes off eventually circling back and sniffing near them again. After my other chickens observed this behavior, they’ve all began joining in on this “game” taking turns running at Romeo. They’ve even tried playing with my small dog Sweety, but she’s completely oblivious to their intentions.
Anyway, here’s a video of them “playing”. Not the best video of what their playing looks like, but of course as soon as a camera comes out they don’t want to do it.

Does anyone else have experience with their chickens and dogs playing?

When I first hatched my chickens I was quite nervous about introducing my border collie x poodle mix, Romeo, to the flock, as he can be quite intense around other animals. But to our surprise, it took just about no training for Romeo to learn that they were a part of our pack. Not soon after he was docile with them, he started “playing” with them. It was actually my chicken Bean that initiated this playing. They quite literally play a game of chicken, Romeo will come along next to the flock acting like he’s just sniffing next to them and then Bean will run at him pretending like she’s going to peck him. And as soon as she starts running at Romeo he takes off eventually circling back and sniffing near them again. After my other chickens observed this behavior, they’ve all began joining in on this “game” taking turns running at Romeo. They’ve even tried playing with my small dog Sweety, but she’s completely oblivious to their intentions.
Anyway, here’s a video of them “playing”. Not the best video of what their playing looks like, but of course as soon as a camera comes out they don’t want to do it.

My dog likes to play with any chicken with her mouth and teeth.. aggressively. 🍗

To me, your chickens look like they are telling the dog to get lost, but they don't look stressed. Many dogs start by playing and later escalate, but this one does seem pretty harmless. I am dealing with cats playing with my outside chicks atm.

my chickens do the same thing to my dog but i didn’t think they were playing. i think they are chasing the dog away.

Back
Top Bottom