Do your customers want white eggs?

My barred rocks lay some huge eggs that really dont fit in the standard cartons I've got. But I MAKE them fit.

We dont raise any white egg layers as I just kind of find them dull. I guess i've been looking at white eggs all my life and now i'm thrilled to have all the colors. My husband sells them at work (in the city) and they all love the unique colors. Only one guy insists on brown eggs only. But the blue and green ones are a favorite of another man so i can mix and match to satisfy everyone.

-JAK

Some people are under a misunderstanding that the shell's color indicates the healthfulness of the egg.

I had someone (who had never raised chickens) tell me, with authority, that brown eggs are healthier than white eggs. When i explained to him and his wife that the shell color has nothing to do with it, they were very surprised. I think people equate brown shell with farm fresh quality.

I don't personally sell white eggs just because the chickens i happen to like the best happen to lay brown eggs.

I like the widest range of colors possible. We don't even have our chickens yet, but we ordered layers of white, cream, brown, dark brown, and blue-green. The white ones will be good for dyeing Ukrainian eggs!

When I go to the community store that sells local eggs, I am willing to pay extra for those in a rainbow pallet, even if they are smaller, - but that's just me.
smile.png

Quote:
My Jaerhon eggs are creamy white and a different, bulbous shape than a typical egg, so they don't seem supermarket-ish to me.
I did have a guy once tell me not to put green eggs in his assortment because he couldn't bring himself to eat them...just looking at them made him nauseous. Ya never know! But that was one guy in about 10 years of sharing eggs.

One family I take eggs to requests 1/2 of each carton be "the little blue ones" from my bantam ameraucanas...their two little boys love to claim these and will help make their own breakfast *if* they can use those eggs!

Last edited:
Most people do prefer the colored eggs over the white. I have gotten rid of my white egg layers for this reason. They don't mind so much about the size of the egg I try to mix them evenly and the smallest ones are for us at home.

Quote:
Your Rhodies ought to be laying at least a large size of egg once they are fully mature. When they enter their second lay cycle they will likely lay extra-large to maybe even jumbo.

.....Alan.

Hey, everyone--

Thanks for the great input! Well, I went today and bought 3 brown leghorns. The feed store added 25 of these to their recent order because of me. Those were the only leghorns the hatchery had at the time, but I assume they are as prolific layers as the white leghorns. They lay white eggs, anyway. So I will take my chances with them, and if nobody wants those eggs, then we'll eat them and give them away (the eggs, not the chickens).
lol.png

Before my chickens started to lay, I bought yard eggs from the local meat market, and they sometimes had white in them. I thought it was fine. However, I did buy a dozen marked "Yard Eggs" from this store and when I opened it they were all white. At first I was suspicious, because this store also sells commercial eggs. The yard eggs are provided by local folks in our little community. Well, anyway, when I cracked the eggs it was easy to see that they were yard eggs, with their nice orange yolks and bullseyes. Also, the egg carton had a very old "use by" date, so they couldn't have been recently purchased from a commercial producer. So, see, even I was leery of the all white. That's why I intend to make a rainbow dozen with just two or three whites.

I agree with PunkinPeep that some people think that brown means healthy. That's really a shame.
sad.png

Well, if nothing else, I will enjoy the whites mixed in with my eggs.
smile.png

By the way, what are some good cream egg layers?

We have had only brown egg layers for years, but with selling hens too, I can't keep enough layers to furnish eggs for all my customers.
I asked them if they would mind if I added some white egg layers to my flock to up the production. They all said they didn't care, as long as it meant that they wouldn't have to buy eggs at the store!

So, we are going to get some California Whites and some Exchequer Leghorns to add to the flock, to up my egg production, so my customers do not have to be on a waiting list after they get old enough to lay. I don't have many customers that want to buy white egg layers, so I should be able to keep enough layers to supply eggs. At least I hope so!

I'm also hoping I can get some of those rescue hens from PA, since no one around here likes to buy any de-beaked hens, I'll be able to keep them for layers!

Jean

Last edited:
We actually started getting requests for all white eggs at a local farmers market. I had a couple Brown Leghorns and always kept their eggs for personal use. But I started more BL chicks this Nov so that I could offer "just white" eggs this season, in addition to the browns and blue/green.

Back
Top Bottom