Do your ducks nap standing up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IcarusSomnio, Jul 27, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I noticed my ducks doing this a couple times. They'll streeeettttcccchhhh out one leg, then tuck it up under them and kinda stand like a Flamingo. Some of the more balanced inclined ones will tuck a head under their wing.

And dozing on the water? Are they just to lazy to get out of the pond? [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I love when mine pretend they are flamingoes!! Its just so cute... Mine do it often...but the pool arent really big enough for them to sleep in.

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    all mine do it too. it's sooo cute. i have a few pics of it. lol

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I noticed my female duck doing that the other day. She was a little wobbly though. The others napped in the pool.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, mine do that. They mostly sleep on the ground, but now and then there's a bit of time spent on one leg, balanced, with head tucked under wing.

I haven't seen 'em nap in their pool. though....

6. Myra

Myra Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    My pekins do that, too! And it's really funny when they fall deep asleep and fall over! Ha - that wakes 'em up fast!

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    My own ducks haven't done this to my knowledge, but then, I rarely see them sleep -- come to think of it, I almost never have. They have a really good sense of hearing and vision and know that I'm coming and start quacking when I'm like 25-30 feet from their enclosure.

But, I've seen wild ducks do this many, many times at the lakeshores. I think it's pretty normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by