Do your girls fight over nest boxes?

I have 31 hens and 12 nest boxes they fuss over them mostly everyday. I have a Banty Cochin hen that will sometiems go from nestbox to nestbox kicking any hen out of them screaming and fussing all the time. My Big Light Brahama Rooster - RIP Turd Ball - would hear this and he would hop up into a nest box, call the hens and they would get behind him in the box and he would guard them so they could lay their eggs. He would do this until Tweety clamed down. here is a pic of TB guarding his hens. There are two hens behind TB.

33770_2010-05-15_092528.jpg

Out of my 8 layers, they ALL like the same box. I used to have two in there but the one that never gets used I finally took out as I figure why waste the space. I agree, the chickens line up to take their turn in the box. I have had a "chicken sandwich" a few times where 1 will climb on the other so they can each lay their egg in the favored box at the same time. Funny girls!

Yep. Five nest boxes for 10 chickens. Up until the last week, they would all hover over whoever was in the favorite box, all the while making rude noises and being very impatient. But last week, for whatever reason, they started branching out and will now use one or two of the other other boxes.

Mine are the same - 3 nest boxes for 12 hens. We once found three light brahma hens piled in one nest box - I still have no idea how they fit in there! The one corner box is most preferred (5-9 eggs); the corner box across from it is second in line (0-3 eggs max); and the box next to the preferred box had never been used until two days ago.

I have 4 nest boxes and and 12 laying hens ( 2 others with chicks and 2 broody) today I went out to collect eggs and there were none in the 3 empty boxes but when I lifted my poor little white silkie(Lady Gaga) she had 7 full size eggs under her ,she had her poor wings spread right out, so the others had all sat on top of her and laid their eggs.

I have 7 hens and 3 next boxes. Today my Dark Brauma was laying outside of the boxes on the hen house floor. My RIR wanted to lay in the same spot, so she was standing over the poor Brauma. The Brauma was taking longer then the RIR thought she should, so she started standing on her. When the Brauma stood up, the RIR looked between her legs for the egg. With no egg there yet, she gave up and decided to go check out one of the empty nest boxes to lay her own egg.

smile.png

I have 6 nest for 15 girls and the choose 2 for that day. I have seen one of my girls push another out of the nest box so she can get in. Sometime we have a pile up.
60141_dscf0642.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I do this and they still lay in the same boxes. I usually find most eggs or a few eggs in one box and some of the six empty. I just don't get it. I thought it was because they are three high and there are two sets, but looking at these pictures of boxes all at the same height that may not be the problem.

Nutters

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom