docile rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EricH, Jan 5, 2011.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Is it normal to have a rooster that shows no aggression to humans? My main man is a HUGE black australorp (which is i imagine where he gets his good nature), he stands at least 24inches tall. Anyways, never once been snuck up on or pecked at all. Got him at around 5 months old and that was about 5 months ago. He does his little straight leg 2 step when new chickens or cockerels are near and just barely seems to get angry when my other cockerel (a dark cornish) jumps on his hens. is this normal? when i was a kid our RIR would peck us any chance he got...

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My LF brahma roo is very docile. My younger cockerel, Impy the turken is now almost 7 months old and he is also turning into a very docile roo, though I had my doubts about him when he was younger.

I don't baby my roos and they keep their distance. I like em thataway.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    The only roos that deserve to live to pass on their genetics are just as you describe and there are thousands of them out there. People just tend to have low expectations and allow the roos to get away with too much.

4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I had the most wonderful rooster. He was a Silkie/barnyard mix. He was very good with his girls, and never once showed any aggression towards people. I didn't even raise him, I got him from my neighbor as a 1 year old. Sadly, a predator got him just a few weeks ago. It was a terrible loss. I was, and still am, very upset about it. I have had an aggressive roo as well, tried to attack me everytime we went out in the yard. And I raised him from a baby.I was able to rehome him, thankfully, to a man that loved his colors and didn't care that he was aggressive. Your roo sounds like a keeper. Your very lucky!

5. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    I have 7 roos, a pretty high ratio to my number of hens. All are at least two years old and all but two I've had for a year and a half. Not a single one of my roos has been aggressive in the least towards me or any human, and they're not too bad with each other or the hens either. Some are more responsible towards the ladies and some, well let's just say they have their own interests. And some are total sweethearts like your Austrolorp. My Spitzhauben will jump on a chair behind me or even onto me knee if he wants to share a snack with me. He and my buff Polish roo rescue are best buddies and hang out together. They are so gentle; it's the hens that'll take your fingers off when giving treats.

Maybe I've been lucky and they all sense that since they've been saved from possible stew pot futures that they ought to show their nice sides. I once had two little bantie roos for about a week that would literally come up and kick my butt when I had my back turned;it was my first totally naive experience with chickens. Somebody else with more know how gave them a good home; eventually I figured out what I was doing.

Enjoy your gentle giant. Let him know your boss by not letting him mate in front of you, but otherwise it sounds like he respects you and his place in the flock with you on top. I've seen people walk around poultry shows with the mellowest pet roos snuggled in their arms.

[​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Best roo I ever had was also a huge black australorp. Never the least bit human aggressive and gentle on the ladies. Lost his life protecting his hens.

Enjoy.

7. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

There are times when you have a well natured Roo, But it depends on the breed and how it was raised. The more socialization a Roo has the tamer he is, from my experience with my flock. I had a Banty Red Cochin that was just a sucker. He kicked and pecked me for no reason. I also had a Miniature Game Bird that was a sweetheart but when another roo came to the yard he went off like a firecracker! That was the only time I got hurt was when I had to catch my roo and chase the interloper away. But it was funny he calmed down when I picked him up. So it just depends on everyone's experience. I would just be thankful that the roo that you are not a foe but a friend. So congrats on that Roo!

8. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    thanks for all the info guys!

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I have a big RIR that is like that, he is very calm, but I also don't handle him. I do my thing in the coop, and I expect him to just move out of my way, which he does. I expect to be able to grab any hen to inspect them, even if they squawk, and he better sit back and watch, which he does.

I have a second roo that is a little snotty, but hasn't gotten the guts to try anything, and I doubt he ever will. The big guy does keep him in line. He's the only chicken I have that the big roo is hard on, and will go after if he's being obnoxious. The big roo lets him breed, but if the hens complain, then the big roo will come and knock him off. 99% of the time though, they get along and just hang out - the big guy tends to most of the girls, and the second roo usually tends to the girls that are on the lower end of the pecking order. They have 13 hens now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by