Does 1 ,2 week vs 1 day old chicks make a huge difference? choosing?

CA Bean

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Coast -California
Hello everyone. I am new here and really excited about chicks! I am getting some this weekend and I am getting them through our local feed supply stores..I hope this is an ok place to get them as I couldn't find the variety through local people.

So here is my small delimma: I can go to a few different feed supplies to get the variety I want but some have the Buff Orphingtons that are a week old and there are only 2 Pullets left. Or I can probably get them closer to where I live 15mins vs 1/2 hr and get 1 day olds. What do ya think? I rather them go out to the outside coop sooner than later but if 1 week is no biggy..then we will do it that way.
Thanks in advance for your responses!

My second dilema:
Since I am such a newbie and don't know the chickens yet beside these are all great egg layers and nice ( good thing since I have small kiddos and will be learning together)

1st place has: Forgive the spelling errors
Astralorps
RIR
Wyandottes
all 2 week olds with vaccination

2nd place
Barred rocks 1day- 1 week old
Americaunas
RIR

3rd place
Buff Orphingtons 1week old - I want some of these too- they are beauties.
Americaunas

Last edited:
I've mixed day olds with 1 week olds before with no integration issues whatsoever. That was with chicks I hatched myself.

The main consideration is that if you are getting from two different sources the recommendation is to quarantine for at least 4 weeks totally separated to prevent any possible illness from going between the two group.... just food for thought.

The chicks get bigger and start to get their wing tip feathers at a week, but there's not much difference between day olds and week olds. Get the chickens and the variety you want, don't worry about the ages! Good luck!

Ok so I called another feed supply place and they have 2 week olds that have already been vaccinated. Can these mix with the 1 week olds that are not vaccinated? I am I making this all harder than it has to be??
sad.png

Edited my original post with new questions of now which kinds. I really want all of kinds at least 1 of each but quaranteen issue....don't really want to put them in 3 diff sections.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom