Does $3.00 sound too high?

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
I was just wondering if $3.00 a dozen sounds too high to charge? They are mostly extra large eggs. Beautiful, at that if I do say so myself. But do ya'll think that people would pay that? Right now I'm sitting on (so to speak) 6 dozen in the frig. And I need to start selling them instead of giving them away, maybe re-coop some of my expense on upkeep of the flock.

I think that's a fair price. The organic eggs are more than that at the store!

You can always lower the price later if people don't buy... but it's harder to raise the price, so I think $3.00 is a good start!

Organic eggs are $5.50 a dz in the store here.
Cage free are around $4 a dz.

$3 is a steal if anyone hassles you about it. I have seen people charge as little as $1.25, but I think they're selling themselves short. Battery eggs aren't even that cheap!

I'm in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere - and a co-worker of my dh said he'd pay $2 a doz easy - the tiny grocery store in town would pay us $1.50 and then sell them for $2.50.

My local stores are charging over $5.00 per dozen organic eggs. If you're stores are charging $3.00 pr dozen, then you could get more than that for a dozen. So, what you're charing is certainly a fair price. None of us is going to become a millionaire over selling our eggs.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
We love the little gals too much!

I think you have to sell based upon your market. If you don't have a large flock and just want them to support themselves a little you could go for the uber vegetarian (provided they aren't fertile) sold in recycled cartons with a small amount off for bringing back the carton.

Back
Top Bottom