Does .5 make a difference in incubation temperature?

Cocohens

Chirping
May 14, 2020
Hi all,

My incubator is sitting at 37.7 degrees on the outside but the little temp gage on the inside is sitting at 37degrees. Should I add temp so that the inside says 37.5 degrees? Im on day 4 of the incubation and want to make sure that the .5 degrees doesn’t ruin my hatch?

Thanks so much

Mine is the same... Mine BOTH on temp and humidity fluctuate so I'm pretty much winging it @ day 10. I candled on day 8 and 15/19 looked good, but reading everyones post I am starting feel like that is setting me up for a really bad day ahead. I am trying to stay positive and will continue to do so, but the only way I'm going to know for sure is day 21-23 when there is no more hope for any others to hatch. :confused::hit:sick🫣

sounds all good to me .. check it at night, morning and 2,3 pm when its hot out .. what you want to avoid is big swings going 36, 39 etc ..

Im on day 4 of the incubation and want to make sure that the .5 degrees doesn’t ruin my hatch?
half a degree (calibrated) won't ruin an incubation hatch.. Wide (long) swings or non calibrated inaccurate temperatures are another story though. Short swings from candling (or the hen leaving the nest to do her thang) have been shown to INCREASE hatch rate. So when candling.. patience and gentilness to avoid dropping the egg and damaging it are more important than worry about the temp drop.. I open the bator lid for the entire candling session (now) without fear.

It could effect timing.. they might hatch day 22 instead of 21 with it low. Or hatch day 20 instead of 21 if it's high.

Which incubator are you using? Have you got the vents open completely? Where's your humidity? What breed or color eggs are you working with? From your own flock?

Mine BOTH on temp and humidity fluctuate
Set at the warmest time of the day so it drifts down instead of up. I use extra blankets around the outside for added insulation, making sure vents are NOT covered.

Humidity is more about the long term average than short spikes or drops..

Check out my favorite *technical* hatching resource.. if (any of) you happen to have the time or interest..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

half a degree (calibrated) won't ruin an incubation hatch.. Wide (long) swings or non calibrated inaccurate temperatures are another story though. Short swings from candling (or the hen leaving the nest to do her thang) have been shown to INCREASE hatch rate. So when candling.. patience and gentilness to avoid dropping the egg and damaging it are more important than worry about the temp drop.. I open the bator lid for the entire candling session (now) without fear.

It could effect timing.. they might hatch day 22 instead of 21 with it low. Or hatch day 20 instead of 21 if it's high.

Which incubator are you using? Have you got the vents open completely? Where's your humidity? What breed or color eggs are you working with? From your own flock?

Set at the warmest time of the day so it drifts down instead of up. I use extra blankets around the outside for added insulation, making sure vents are NOT covered.

Humidity is more about the long term average than short spikes or drops..

Check out my favorite *technical* hatching resource.. if (any of) you happen to have the time or interest..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy
Thank you! and Thank you for the lead... I'm easily distracted when I go to hunting info on my own lol

Back
Top Bottom