Does a broody hen mean...

Crow-ded house

Songster
May 2, 2016
Bartlesville, OK
Does a broody hen mean there are fertilized eggs? My ladies will lay eggs and ignore them but now I have a little yellow girl that does not lay eggs but lately she has taken to never leaving the nest as she lays on her run mates’ eggs. The little brown one lays egs but did not brood on them until just last week and now both are not leaving the nest. Poor Mr Toughie is going crazy making sure I do not disturb them when I go deal with the rabbit.

Yes we have a rooster and he has been “busy” with them. I would love chicks because they are different colors so that would be interesting what the little ones will look like.

but now I have a little yellow girl that does not lay eggs but lately she has taken to never leaving the nest as she lays on her run mates’ eggs.
Has she been on the nest for 3 days and nights...leaving the nest only to eat and drink?

You'll need to decide if you want her to hatch out some chicks, and how you will 'manage' it.

Do you have the space needed? She may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock, I highly prefer this method. I put her in a wired off area of the coop with some fake eggs until she settles again, then give her fresh fertile eggs. Then I don't have to worry about other hens laying in the nest or harassing her.

Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?

If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.
It's a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

Back
Top Bottom