Does a redder comb and wattle indicate a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by truebluexf, Jun 8, 2011.

1. truebluexf

truebluexf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    We have to black australorps, about 7 or 8 weeks old. One's comb started turning redder a few weeks ago, and continues to do so. Red comb, red wattle, though shorter comb than the other one. They are both supposed to be pullets. Even said chick's cheeks are turning redder now. She also has a shorter tail than her sister. Thoughts?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes the comb and wattles being larger and red earlier indicates the chick is a roo.

3. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    Even if the comb is smaller than the obvious pullet?

4. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    Here's Margaret:

[​IMG]

It's not the best photo, but she is so much redder than the other one that my son thought she was hurt when he saw her today!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    No one else has any ideas? If she crows soon, I'm screwed, I'm not sure how to add another to the flock as they are getting older and older, and I'm not supposed to just add one, right? I'd really like to know asap if she's a he! [​IMG]

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    another good indicator would be feather growth. A rooster will feather out much slower than a pullet. Does it seem like it took the bird in question longer to grow its feathers?

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I think she's a pullet. My RIR's comb turned red at 5 weeks, but stayed small. I'm assuming she matured early.

8. truebluexf

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks. I would say they feathered at exactly the same time. The one in question has always had smaller tail feathers though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by