Does any one Vaccinate their Flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sugroxz, May 16, 2011.

1. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    I am wondering if any one vaccinates their Chickens, Turkeys, Guineas etc?? If so what vaccine to you use? Do you need to vaccinate your flock? I'm a newbie if you all couldn't tell.. [​IMG]

2. kmbeethesun

kmbeethesun New Egg

Apr 2, 2011
    I have also wondered; even thought about taking mine to a vet? OR is that waistless? Great question!

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I dont vaccinate mine. I dont have a high numbered flock though. I know that the hatchery sites usually dont recommend vaccinating small flocks.

4. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    When I order pullet chicks from McMurray, I often opt to pay the $1 or $2 per chick to vaccinate them against a couple diseases (?Merck's? and something else) ... I haven't ordered for a while so my memory isn't fresh.

I have a small flock, but I figure that since I'm going to be keeping the hens for years (and paying a lot in chicken feed over that time), that I might as well pay a modest amount for some additional health insurance.

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    i went ahead and ordered the Merik's when I ordered my chicks. It was like 22ยข per bird. But I don't plan on doing anything else.

6. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    What does the hatcheries vaccinate for? Also do they vaccinate yearly??

7. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    All hatcheries are different. You have to ask the hatchery you use how their system works. Meyers only vaccinates for Merik's and they ask you if you want it done. I know Murry has a cocci and a couple of others if I remember right. But I don't know about others.

8. CheekyChooks

CheekyChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Doncaster
    Do you need to vaccinate laying hens so the eggs are edible (protect against salmonela etc ...)?

9. GiddyMoon

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    You can't vaccinate against salmonella. and honestly, that is another scare on the people to enforce more laws. People have been chicken farming for centuries, allowing their kids to pick up the dirty eggs, play with chickens, lick the bowls...thousands of athletics eat raw eggs daily. While I wouldn't lick my hand after shoveling chicken poop...I am never concerned about the issues the media loves to scare people with.

10. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i had mine vaccinated against mereks disease once they were hatched from mypetchicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by