Does anybody have any experience with these dog runs?

I'm using dog kennel panels for my run and with some slight modifications(added 1" mesh wire around the bottom for more security and logs/landscape timbers around the bottom also, plus netting over the top to protect from hawks) it works great. You might want to check a farm supply store or pet shop though as the price seems high to me. Here in Kentucky you can get a 10'x10' kennel for about $200-$250.

Larry

Really impressive. I like it much better than regular chain link, the holes appear smaller so I wouldn't have to worry about the chickens sticking their heads out and one of my dogs decapitating them!! It is a little pricier that the chain link kennels but they are much nicer in appearance and seem way easy to put together.

Keep in mind those kennels are all painted steel.
They will rust much faster than galvanized or aluminum Chain Link fencing

I don't think they are that much better considering the cost

At least they are powder coated, which makes them more durable. I learned that, shopping for parrot cages. I hear you on the rust issues, though. I don't know how long they will hold up. I have heavy duty chain link kennels that are over 25 years old. I've had them that long and I bought them from someone else. This is the 3rd home I've had them at. I can't complain they haven't been sturdy!
big_smile.png

I wonder how those outdoor, powder coated aviaries they sell for parrots hold up over the years? I would think they would have similar durability, as far as the weather goes. You could probably slap a little Rustoleum paint on any spots later on, if needed. Black isn't a very hard color to match.
wink.png

I have to say that I really like kennels that are made of panels. My chain link is panels, too. Some of the chain link kennels being made today are kind of flimsy. Others are quite sturdy. You need to pay attention to the gauge of the wire used, when comparing them. Some come in panels, others don't. All chain link should be attached all around the frame or it won't be secure. There are other welded wire kennels, too.

It sounds like shopping around would be a good thing to do. Then, just get what you really want.

We use a very similar dog run for our bantams. It has worked great so far- we did add a hardware cloth apron around the bottom and I have chicken wire over the top. The chicken coop is a barn style dog house. It was very easy to set up.

Back
Top Bottom