Does anybody here have Buff Catalanas?

Adri

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I bought 12 Buff Catalanas pullets (along with 21 other chicks). I haven't read too much about their personalities and would love to know what to expect.

So far the Catalanas like to sleep in the corners of the brooder in groups of 2 or 3, away from the rest of the chicks. They seem to get along with the others, they just prefer the cooler corners maybe? They are curious and one by one they will rush over to see what I am doing and then dart away. They don't like to be picked up, but will settle down in our hands once we have picked them up.

I am surprised by the variation in colour at 2 weeks. Some of them have a fair bit of black coming in on their wings, brown arrows on their heads, and yet others are yellow with only the smallest hint of buff coming in. Some of them have combs that are larger than any of the other chicks. Is this normal within the breed? It is blurry, so I don't know if you can make out the comb on the chick in the first pic, but it is larger than any of my other chicks.

chick15.jpg

More typical of the rest:
chick13.jpg

What are your Buff Catalanas like? Do some of them have more black on their wings and tail than others? Do the hens have a fairly large comb? Are they a friendly tame breed?

Back
Top Bottom