Does Anybody here Know Sign Language?

I do. I became the translator for a deaf lady at our church. I am by no means the best, but if I don't know a word, I can describe it in two or three words I do know.
wink.png

Believe it or not, interpreters are paid well but the hours sucks for them unless you do have another job or under support of a spouse or family. Many of my interpreters, now are friends of mine, moved on to become teachers or left elsewhere for better hours and often times, better pay. Once in a while they would be very stiff from sitting for an hour or two in a classroom and their hands do get tired. You have to love your job to continue to be an interpreter. More often than not, many of them became teachers and fill in interpreting jobs when an interpreter was sick for the day or on maternity leave. I have not yet seen a male interpreter but the women seems to be more free flowing than a man which they do tend to halt or very stiff manner in their motions.

It has been a good while since I have signed and yes, I have lost some of the signs from non use. I have to look up in the websites in order to find out what the sign is LOL! My project is my daughter's GS that we will be learning to sign language in the girl scout promise.

Yeah, Great Story's! maybe i will be A teacher For Kinder gardeners, Someone Said that Kinder garden Is teaching ASL Now... But How Much Should i Charge a Lesson For the Kids in My neighborhood? ( A lesson would be about 25 new signs, And a review Of the last lesson... So 50 Signs in All. )

To answer your question, being deaf has its advantages and disadvantages.

If you really want to know, try going a day or two without hearing by putting on some goooood ear plugs. Keep your eyes open almost all the time, taking in reading people's lips (do not let them do the "wide mouth frog talk", it just irks me big time) and try to make out what they are saying. Signing helps alot in noisy crowds or a very quiet area like the library or concert. Use your eyes, nose and mouth and touch as your senses and some of us do have a sixth sense or higher sensitivity to whats going on around them. I can pick up people's moods quickly simply by looking at them. Read their expressions, emotions and feelings.

Look around you outside, see the wind blowing, air is cool, you can feel it going across your face but you can not hear it blow.

High awareness when you are driving or walking across the street.

Can't use phone, TEXT!

Most of all, patience for those who are frustrated or mad at you for being deaf or can not understand them clearly.

That is just the gist of it.

I am thankful I am married to a hearing guy but he only "select" what he wants to hear LOL!

Simple, either lip read OR "hoof" it out with the best sign language you can do. Or if all else fails, write on a notepad.

I honestly don't know how much they charge a lesson...but if an interpreter is doing in a class room setting at a college, its $15 dollars an hour. High school setting, a couple dollars less.

If you had to buy books, you would charge them to buy a book along with the lessons. Or a flat rate if you are just teaching them signs.

OK. Andi have a question about a Sign. the sign for Mother and Father. Some books and websites Say Mother Is this: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

others
say : the sign for " Girl " And showing how tall she is.

Same with father.

Which is it???

I Don't need to buy books, I got one for my Birthday. but these are Neighborhood kids with hardy 5 Bucks on there own. how much should i charge? ( ' Kid ' is about 7-15 years of age )

The ALSPO is correct in mother, father and girl signs.

Sometimes "female" would use the "girl" sign.
And the "man" would use the "boy" sign but many time we would lip sych the word that we can understand the sign and mouthing of word easily.

I HATED interpreters that do not use their mouths to say the words, they would be tight lipped thru the whole thing....ugh! I like to see one speaking (silently or out loud) when they sign.

Back
Top Bottom