Does anybody NOT like quail meat?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by montanaquail, Sep 7, 2014.

1. montanaquail

montanaquail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    I always read how everyone thinks quail meat is good. I've never had it, but I really really want to love it. My question is: does anybody out there dislike quail meat, or is it just universally yummy?
  2. LuvNMud

LuvNMud Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    Sevierville, Tn
    we havent tried it yet.... but, everyone I have talked to that has says its just like chicken.... im looking forward to getting to the point that we can start processing some :) we just hatched 22... they should start laying in the next week or two... then we can start working on breeding vrs meat vrs eggs :))
  3. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    I had quail meat but not from my own quails yet. It's delicious mainly because i love dark meat. [​IMG] Oh and [​IMG]
  4. WattaReelDrag

WattaReelDrag Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    I love it, tried it many times from a local gourmet butcher and only recently decided I should try to breed my own. I reckon it tastes alot better then chicken BUT I think that has more to do with their size and how a sprinkle of herbs and spices really stands out more on a smaller bird...
  5. montanaquail

montanaquail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome!

I'm excited but nervous too. The idea behind me doing this is sustainability, so it kind of defeats the purpose if I can't tolerate eating it. Fingers crossed!! (Now to hatch some eggs and finish my pens.)
  6. tinkatwerp

tinkatwerp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    I really can't tell the difference between quail and chicken to be honest, except the one I had (a particularly aggressive male) was incredibly tender and juicy
    1 person likes this.
  7. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I didn't notice a difference between store bought chicken and home raised quail. The uber-aggressive male I had was not tender....probably because he was past his prime butcher age. I let him go until he was lean because I wasn't aware that I should've culled him at the first signs of it. He killed two hens and nearly a third. I ate him with pleasure, despite being a bit tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by