Does anybody NOT like quail meat?

montanaquail

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
I always read how everyone thinks quail meat is good. I've never had it, but I really really want to love it. My question is: does anybody out there dislike quail meat, or is it just universally yummy?

we havent tried it yet.... but, everyone I have talked to that has says its just like chicken.... im looking forward to getting to the point that we can start processing some :) we just hatched 22... they should start laying in the next week or two... then we can start working on breeding vrs meat vrs eggs :))

I had quail meat but not from my own quails yet. It's delicious mainly because i love dark meat.
droolin.gif
Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

I love it, tried it many times from a local gourmet butcher and only recently decided I should try to breed my own. I reckon it tastes alot better then chicken BUT I think that has more to do with their size and how a sprinkle of herbs and spices really stands out more on a smaller bird...

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm excited but nervous too. The idea behind me doing this is sustainability, so it kind of defeats the purpose if I can't tolerate eating it. Fingers crossed!! (Now to hatch some eggs and finish my pens.)

I really can't tell the difference between quail and chicken to be honest, except the one I had (a particularly aggressive male) was incredibly tender and juicy

I didn't notice a difference between store bought chicken and home raised quail. The uber-aggressive male I had was not tender....probably because he was past his prime butcher age. I let him go until he was lean because I wasn't aware that I should've culled him at the first signs of it. He killed two hens and nearly a third. I ate him with pleasure, despite being a bit tough.

Back
Top Bottom