Does anybody use anything to identify individual quail?

ColleenC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
I'm just curious, I've seen chickens and other birds with those little plastic rings around their feet. Does anyone use these or something similar for quail? I'm raising my first batch of quail, and as they grow I find myself wondering things about their growth patterns. For example, is the one being aggressive now the same one that was really loud on the first day? Is the one who was lethargic for a day or two one of the smaller ones now, or has he/she recovered fully and is one of the bigger ones?

I think it would be cool to be able to track and take notes on their individual growth, but they change so fast that I have trouble telling them apart (aside from weird behavior things like above, which for the most part haven't lasted more than a day or two).

Does anyone do this?

I use 4 inch zip ties to id families. If you have 6 colors thats 36 possible combinations. One on each foot. If you get creative you can probably get even more. They dont much like it when ur putting them on but they dont seem to mind once theyre on. Just dont get them too tight. I wait until they are grown, otherwise youll have to cut them off and replace as they grow.

At my local feed store they have those tag things for chickens there. What size do you guys think would be appropriate for chicks and adult quail? I'm thinking chick size for adult quail, but I'm not sure if even the smallest size would work for babies, so the zip tie idea ClintD mentioned is a good idea.

Right now, there is one 4 day old chick that we are watching, and we put a purple sharpie stripe down the middle of his back, so it can be easily identified.

Back
Top Bottom