Does anyone eat Peahen eggs?

annette'spets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
vero beach, Fl.
My two females have laid three eggs on the floor of the stall-no males in their pen- on three different days. Do people eat them? They are large, wondered if I could boil them and give to the dogs?

Yes, you can eat them. You can feed them to the dog.

However, they will probably keep laying for awhile, males or not, and if you take them away, they may keep laying for quite a long time... Every other day for 20 or 30 or maybe even 40 eggs.

If you would like them to stop laying, LEAVE the eggs there (even add some fake eggs if you have them), and when there is a whatever the hen views as a "clutch," the hen will stop laying and perhaps (no guarantees) start sitting on them. At some point after that, you can take the infertile eggs away and with any amount of luck she may not start up again this year. Or she might.

Anyway, FWIW, they will stop laying sooner if you leave the eggs there.

Have you thought about getting a male?
gig.gif

I heard you may eat them, but I personally never had.

My two females have laid three eggs on the floor of the stall-no males in their pen- on three different days. Do people eat them? They are large, wondered if I could boil them and give to the dogs?

Best "Dippy" (sunny side up) eggs ever, these are my son's favorite and he waits all year for them. Taste just like chicken eggs, but the yolk is huge.

Wow, sure glad you told me that news! I had no idea they would lay that many eggs or to leave them and maybe they would stop. At least the two girls stopped acting like a male and female at mating time. I saw a little hole starting to be dug in the sand of the stall but the eggs have just been on the floor. They are mostly bugging in the day. I will cook some so I will know how they taste. Can't get a male as their call might disturb the neighbors and really don't want more peacocks. Took these two because we had a perfect place for them and they were in a big dog cage since Feb.22nd. These are beautiful Java Green and fun to watch. Thanks.

We eat them when they are laid with all the males out of the pens and free ranging thus insuring they are not fertile. I sell all fertile eggs for $8.00 each and sell all that I put up for sale almost immediately. Our feeling is they do not taste as good as home grown chicken eggs. Just our feeling, you might find them to taste just as good as chicken eggs.

Wow, sure glad you told me that news! I had no idea they would lay that many eggs or to leave them and maybe they would stop. At least the two girls stopped acting like a male and female at mating time. I saw a little hole starting to be dug in the sand of the stall but the eggs have just been on the floor. They are mostly bugging in the day. I will cook some so I will know how they taste. Can't get a male as their call might disturb the neighbors and really don't want more peacocks. Took these two because we had a perfect place for them and they were in a big dog cage since Feb.22nd. These are beautiful Java Green and fun to watch. Thanks.

Hmmm, well if they are greens, they probably won't lay that many. I don't know, but you could ask Gerald @barkerg -- and while you are talking to him, see about getting a male to match. Greens are typically quieter than blues, so less likely to upset your neighbors, and I betcha you can sell THOSE eggs for a lot more than $8 each
th.gif
They can pay their own feed bill...

Eating green eggs would be some kinda sacril-egg-e for sure
wink.png

Hmmm, well if they are greens, they probably won't lay that many. I don't know, but you could ask Gerald @barkerg -- and while you are talking to him, see about getting a male to match. Greens are typically quieter than blues, so less likely to upset your neighbors, and I betcha you can sell THOSE eggs for a lot more than $8 each
th.gif
They can pay their own feed bill...

Eating green eggs would be some kinda sacril-egg-e for sure
wink.png

I would love to get more than $8.00 per egg but you find that with such a short shelf life with hatching eggs that if you price them too high you just end up having to hard boil them and feed them back to the peas or chickens. I raise only IBs due to our winters so can not say how much eggs from greens would sell for and how fast they will sell.

Back
Top Bottom