Does anyone else hate 50 pound bags of feed?

Pics
Even in winter a 50 pound bag of feed lasts me 4 months, but I give it all to my neighbors after 30 days for their pig. Now that spring is here/summer for you yankees they aren't even touching their feed. I don't know why I even bother buying feed.
Switch to 20 - 25 pound bags for you feathered friends. I go through 3 - 50 pound bags a month for my 50 chickens and 10 ducks and that is with them free ranging on 1 acre of pasture as well. I get frustrated with the 40 pound bags especially when the feed companies reduce the size without reducing the prices.

I guess I'm lucky. With year round grass and bugs(these thin considerably in our"Winter") and are purely free ranging with 4 birds on an acre. View attachment 1351140 @wolfinator
They sound like excellent foragers, finding everything they need, bringing your feed bill down considerably. An occasional handful of scratch would probably do for them.

Even in winter a 50 pound bag of feed lasts me 4 months, but I give it all to my neighbors after 30 days for their pig. Now that spring is here/summer for you yankees they aren't even touching their feed. I don't know why I even bother buying feed.
You're a good Daddy...you let Mother Nature provide them with everything they need, just like back in the old days before there was commercial feed. Your feed expense should be minimal.

Switch to 20 - 25 pound bags for you feathered friends. I go through 3 - 50 pound bags a month for my 50 chickens and 10 ducks and that is with them free ranging on 1 acre of pasture as well. I get frustrated with the 40 pound bags especially when the feed companies reduce the size without reducing the prices.
Yep that is my dog food story. My dogs were all having the itchies being fed on pedigree and a few other brands from the feed store. Changing to a grain free krill based(smells horrid) food fixed that but is now coming in 40 pound bags for the $35-.

You're a good Daddy...you let Mother Nature provide them with everything they need, just like back in the old days before there was commercial feed. Your feed expense should be minimal.
We are blessed by the climate and and the year round grass, sure I have to water on rare occasions, but they seem to prefer eating the yard to their feed. Since this post was initially created my entire flock has been lost to a rescue dog that apparently got bored while I took a nap, but we have 7 chicks of the same breed cooking in the bath tub at 2.5 weeks. I am going through plenty of feed again as they seem to enjoy it more as bedding.

We are blessed by the climate and and the year round grass, sure I have to water on rare occasions, but they seem to prefer eating the yard to their feed. Since this post was initially created my entire flock has been lost to a rescue dog that apparently got bored while I took a nap, but we have 7 chicks of the same breed cooking in the bath tub at 2.5 weeks. I am going through plenty of feed again as they seem to enjoy it more as bedding.
Good for you, all is not lost. I hope you keep your babies protected, spoiled and going strong.:D

Back
Top Bottom