Does anyone else own a deaf dog?

My Iris is deaf,
3045.jpg

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
So sorry about your other dog...it's hard to lose them. What a sweet face!! I'm glad to know the shelter is willing adopt out a deaf dog. It's hard to find the right people who are willing to give them a chance. They're just like any other dog except that they have ornaments for ears.
big_smile.png
Koshie would have have been put down here because they would have considered her unadoptable, especially with her issues. We've figured out what they are, what triggers her reaction and just don't put her in a situation where there would be a problem. I had a crash course in ASL when I got her. I use ASL and obedience hand signals. It's been an amazing learning experience with her. Patience, patience, patience is the key and work on one sign at a time. And LOTS of treats! One of the first signs she picked up was treat. Your daughter will have a lot of fun teaching him. My goal with Koshie is to do rally obedience with her.
People ask why we didn't change her name and I tell them it wouldn't matter because she can't hear it anyhoo.
wink.png
You could come up with a sign to represent his name. I use the ASL letter K for her though I don't think she really gets it.
hmm.png
I don't regret getting her for a minute and I'll own another deaf dog again one day. We just had a 10wk old deaf Mini Aussie available here and boy was it hard to resist

I have a 14 year old Black Lab , Sally and she is deaf now from age, having trouble seeing too, but I talk to her all the time, she does understand most handsignals but of course you have to get her attention first usually by touching her. I Love her to death . I find myself calling her all the time then think " Sandy, dingy she cant here you!" She has adjusted to her own deafness much better than I. LOL

One of my springer spaniels is deaf from age now. We manage fine with him using hand signals, thankfully he is still pretty obedient. We run a small business from home and have people coming and going a lot and unfortuately last month he was sunbathing outside and didn't hear a car start up and he got backed up over. 3 weeks in plaster cast and a lot of ££££ later he is better but i doubt he will ever walk without a limp now.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
works on the cats too! All I have to do now is pick it up and all inappropriate behavior by any animal comes to a complete stop. Well except for the EE rooster I shot with it yesterday. Didn't even phase him!

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
So sorry about your other dog...it's hard to lose them. What a sweet face!! I'm glad to know the shelter is willing adopt out a deaf dog. It's hard to find the right people who are willing to give them a chance. They're just like any other dog except that they have ornaments for ears.
big_smile.png
Koshie would have have been put down here because they would have considered her unadoptable, especially with her issues. We've figured out what they are, what triggers her reaction and just don't put her in a situation where there would be a problem. I had a crash course in ASL when I got her. I use ASL and obedience hand signals. It's been an amazing learning experience with her. Patience, patience, patience is the key and work on one sign at a time. And LOTS of treats! One of the first signs she picked up was treat. Your daughter will have a lot of fun teaching him. My goal with Koshie is to do rally obedience with her.
People ask why we didn't change her name and I tell them it wouldn't matter because she can't hear it anyhoo.
wink.png
You could come up with a sign to represent his name. I use the ASL letter K for her though I don't think she really gets it.
hmm.png
I don't regret getting her for a minute and I'll own another deaf dog again one day. We just had a 10wk old deaf Mini Aussie available here and boy was it hard to resist

She'll get it eventually. Took Katie a bit to get her sign. I use the K and stroke it across my cheek for the girl sign basicly it's "Katie Girl" I use it when I talk to her. Yes! I talk to her all the time. so does everyone who gets to know her. I show them her name sign. If they do it correctly she will collapse on the floor in front of them wanting a belly rub, lol. Signs are too small for Icee to see so we use touch signals. We touch a certain part of her body to get her to do certain things. Touch nose=pay attention. Touch rump=sit/down. Touch chest=move forward.

Katie knows 13 signs so far. I work on them until I know she has them before I add a new one. Down, sit, stay, Dad, quiet, come, leave it, No, Go to bed, Dad's at the door, I don't know, find it, NOW!! She doesn't work for treats so much as a toy or a couple minutes of play. Oh she also knows, give paw but it comes out like a fist bump, lol.

Had a stone-deaf mixed breed female, Maggie, for 8 years. I found out she was really sensitive to vibration. So if she was looking away from me and I stomped really hard ( I'm 6 ft 1in @ 250 lb) she would spin around and then respond to my "come here" hand sign. I started giving her a treat when she'd come to me on command. Later on I started waving my arms/coat/rag or whatever I had handy to get her attention, again, giving her a treat when she'd come once I got her attention. That seemed to make her look around more often. So it made it easier for me to get her attention. She got along well with my other dogs and avoided coyotes for the 8 years she was here. Cool dog.... lots of love and tail wagging just like any good old dog. She just disappeared one day... maybe coyotes...

Everyone has such beautiful dogs and I think each and every one of you are wonderful beyond any words.

Coyote, your comment about honoring your former dog by adopting your current special group of love bugs brought me to tears. We too wanted to honor a dog that was not only friend and companion, but teacher to us all. No one in our family had a moments hesitation when I said I found a lovely dog that's deaf and in need of a home. I was afraid maybe DD would be a little reluctant, but she too thought it would something that would have made Stanley very happy.

Thanks for the link to the website. I'll definately check it out.

Back
Top Bottom