Does anyone ever sell an egg assortment of different breeds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Denninmi, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    This is for future reference, since I really don't think I should hatch any more eggs this year. I am reaching my limit on my ability to house and care for new birds at this time, and it is getting later in the year -- even if I got eggs now, it would be August when they hatched and October by the time they were decently grown.

But, my question is - are there any breeders out there who have offered an assortment of eggs of different breeds -- say, 2 black cayugas, 2 blue swedish, 2 khaki campbells, 2 indian runners, 2 calls, that sort of thing?

I've seen some ebay listings for mixed or assorted duck eggs, but when I read the "fine print" it's for essentially "mutt" eggs -- they have different breeds and let them all mix together. I have nothing againt mutts, just not what I'm looking for.

I would like to get different breeds in the future, want to hatch my own, and don't want to have to get a dozen of each breed, that's all.

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Sometimes I see that, but not very often. You're right, it is usually mixed breeds that people offer in assortments. On occasion though, I see people selling assortments of several non-mixed breeds. You can also order eggs from larger operations like Metzers and get the exact number of each breed you want. They are kind of pricey though. I think they sell them for half the day old price if I am remembering correctly. Not very many smaller breeders keep several different breeds.

3. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Next year I should be able to offer an assortment of hatching eggs from different breeds. If you are looking for SQ stock, I will still be too inexperienced to provide that. It would be my first year shipping eggs, and if you were interested in any of the breeds I have available and didn't mind being a guinea pig, I wouldn't mind putting together some assorments for you at a very reasonable price. They are, or will be by next year, housed seperately, and I would have no problem sending pics of them once mature so you can see the parents and how they are kept. This is what I should have:

Kahki Campbells
    Pekin
    Indian Runners (Mixed Colors)
    Australian Spotteds
    Mini Silver Appleyards
    Muscovy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by