1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone ground eggshells up and add them to their chicken feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by go-veggie, Jul 13, 2008.

1. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Someone just told me to do that so my hens get extra calcium and produce eggs with really nice, hard shells. She said that some eggs can be soft when there isn't enough calcium. Is that true? I'm sure the food I buy for them, along with some table scraps, gives them plenty of calcium. I will definitely do it, but I want to make sure it won't give them a "taste" for their eggs or something and then they start eating their eggs, which I heard they might do anyway... Any thoughts on that?

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Once my girls have started to lay I will add toasted ground egg shells to the grit and stuff they will get. In fact, there are several egg shells waiting to be "toasted" right now.

But I am not sure how fine the shells need/should be ground.

3. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yes, I feed extra calcium to my girls. I save the egg shells, wash them out, then bake them in the oven at about 200 degrees for 10 -15 minutes. After they cool, I grind them up - they don't have to be too fine. I put them in a dish and let them help themselves as they see fit. While the layer feed does have some calcium, it's usually not enough for those hens that are really good layers.
    Note: I ususally save up a bunch of eggshells and do them at once. I store them in the freezer until I'm ready to do up another batch. Hope this helps you.
    Liz

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I crush them and sprinkle them on the ground in their run. They love it.

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    What is the reason behind cooking them??

6. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Quote:You don't want your hens getting a taste for normal eggshells - could lead to them eating their eggs on a regular basis.
    Liz

7. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    what if they are hard boiled to begin with? Are those considered already cooked??

L

8. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    they grind better cooked [​IMG]

9. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    My mom taught me to toast the eggshells, then grind them up so the don't look like eggs. I've been doing this for many years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by