does anyone have a coop from CConly.com?

tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
I have been wanting chickens for a few years now, last year we finally bought a house. I would like to someday get a permanent coop/garden shed (something along the lines of 12X12) but that will be someday and I would like chickens sooner then that :lol:

Background: so I was looking at tractors. For us a tractor would be in the orchard in the spring/summer/fall and closer to the house in winter (for wind protection and to make it easier to check on them and possibly provide electric if needed). I don't want more then 6 or so chickens and have 4 picked out from meyer (close enough to pick up for us). 4 will provide us will more eggs then we can eat and prolly more then we can give away. The orchard will be fenced with deer fence (about 7.5') and will be about 115'X30'. They will probably "free range" there most every day in nicer weather.

I like this plan for a tractor http://richland.uwex.edu/files/2010/11/A3908-02.pdf
I think I could build it for about $150 including paint and using a differnt roofing. But my husband made a good point that we would make mistakes and it would end up costing us more in the long run and he isn't sure about the wood, even treated wood. He found one on ebay, but it was very small, about half the size of the diy one.

Then I saw this one:
http://www.cconlystore.com/CC-68-R2-CC-68-R2.htm
we live close enough to pick it up so it's only $412 and we won't have to go back to the store or second guess the plans or make any cuts. Making more then one trip for wood is not an option as I drive a small car and my husband works a lot. The dimensions according to the site are: Coop ( 38.5" W x 46.5" D x 50" H) Run ( 38.5'W x 43"H x 65"L ). or about 3.2'X3.875 (12.4sq) for the coop and 3.2'X5.41' (17.3sq) for a total of 29.7sf or 7.4sft per bird for 4 hens.

So, if you are still there after all my random ramblings has anyone gotten a coop from cconly? I wish they had a retail store I could go look at, but it seems they only have a warehouse. Does it look like I could move this one on my own? Maybe if we added wheels?

according to the size, 3' x 4' is 12 sq ft. .that's about big enough for 3 hens. I think putting in 6 hens would make it a little cramped. My tractor is 5' x 9' with the run underneath plus an extended 10' run mated to it . I had 6 pullets in there and at about 12 wks old I had to build a larger coop. It was just too small.
Now I have 8'x10' coop with 9 hens and plenty room to expand. Built another 8'x10' coop with 6 hens, with room to expand.
Here are the coops with the tractor. The tractor has been moved and currently houses one Maran hen who likes to be by herself.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do......

The dimensions according to the site are: Coop ( 38.5" W x 46.5" D x 50" H) Run ( 38.5'W x 43"H x 65"L ). or about 3.2'X3.875 (12.4sq) for the coop and 3.2'X5.41' (17.3sq) for a total of 29.7sf or 7.4sft per bird for 4 hens.

I am only planning on putting 4 in, and I don't plan to have the door closed if I can help it so they can just be inside the coop if they choose to. I plan to figure out a way to put another roost in the run so they can sleep outside when the weather is nice if they want to. Ill have to put a skirt on it of course, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Do you know of any other prefab coops that are bigger?

If the run is totally secure (mine is in no way secure, that's why they are locked inside every night) so that the door can be left open then you should be just fine. I have a Maran that won't share roost with any of the others so she lives alone. She seems happy and just gave me my first dark brown egg yesterday.
If only for 4 hens ( something smaller than Brahma's) should be ok. Can't tell by the picture what the screening is made of , it looks like hardware cloth which is good. 1/2" hardware cloth won't allow Raccoons to reach in and grab chickens. Just make sure a dog, fox etc can't dig under.
I have never really looked at prefab coops.
Enjoy your chickens, they are a lot of fun.

That's the same coop which is sold all over the internet and ebay. The house portion of the one linked to in your post is on display at one of my local feed stores. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is a piece of junk. The wood is very thin, not well sealed, and the construction is shoddy. I doubt it would last through more than one winter season. As others have said, it is much smaller than the picture would have you believe.

2x

I have seen those all over internet too and alot of folks have to shell out MORE money to repair or do some paint sealing work on it.

Save your grief and buy a good wood/resin tool shed and make your modifications with it.

That's the same coop which is sold all over the internet and ebay. The house portion of the one linked to in your post is on display at one of my local feed stores. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is a piece of junk. The wood is very thin, not well sealed, and the construction is shoddy. I doubt it would last through more than one winter season. As others have said, it is much smaller than the picture would have you believe.

Great coops. Right size. It does take some time to put together. Lots of screws. But nice little coop. I recommend.

I ordered a coop without a run from CConly in May. I received half a coop assembly and half a run assembly. No hardware and no instructions. I contacted the company immediately and was told the missing pieces would be shipped the following day and arrive by Tuesday. I did not receive the missing pieces and have been trying to contact the company for over a week. No one will answer the phone, emails or respond to messages left on voicemail. I am very frustrated as I have ten chickens inside my house, CConly has my money and I have half a chicken coop and cannot afford to purchase another one until CConly refunds my money.

Back
Top Bottom