Does anyone have a strain of Orpingtons that are truely dual purpose

chicks for better health

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
West Glenville, NY
I am raising Buff and Black Orps on pasture in large qnty. I would like to use the cockerels for fryers and hope to breed a little size into my flock. Does anyone have a strain that they have developed for meat purposes?

Thanks

I have been selecting my breeding stock for size and quicker development. I have achieved the size I want, but still can't get them to grow any faster. I think it is just in the breed.
Here is Big Daddy, my breeding roo. He is a very big guy. He is from my second generation stock.
16513_buff_orpington_roo_use.jpg

Quote:
If your useing hatchery bred Orps, I would suggest you search the threads over in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing for breeders of quality lines. Also, I recently picked up some Lavender Orpington eggs on the auctions here at BYC; but pay attention to what's being offered if you go that route, as sometimes their stock is hatchery sourced.

Quote:
I have processed them between 20-24 weeks and always had 4-6 pound dressed birds. Not an abundance of breast meat, but the LQ are very nice.
Are you still looking for a good DP Jared?

Last edited:
BOs are about the best self sustaining DP breed I've tried. They lay lots of eggs, go broody often enough that you don't need an incubator to increase your flock, and have a decent carcus for meat purposes. The biggest drawback is the 20-24 week grow-out time.

Last edited:
My plans got derailed for this year so I'm sitting tight on DP birds. I saw the thread and thought to ask. I never even thought about the broody aspect, thats gotta be REALLY nice.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have processed them between 20-24 weeks and always had 4-6 pound dressed birds. Not an abundance of breast meat, but the LQ are very nice.
Are you still looking for a good DP Jared?

Hi,
Yes, you are right. I would hope for a 4+ pound dressed bird at 16 weeks from a orpington. I would say if you do really like them, get a bird from a breeder and cross it with your rooster. Then with the chicks, cull any that that are less than 5 pound for males and maybe 4 for pullets, at around 16 weeks. If you get any 6 pound males thats what you want to breed from. It should increase the size of its offspring. That is around what you want at that age. (16 weeks)
You just have to remember, they will not be as big as those cornishx birds when processed.
good luck!

Are these weights in live weight or dressed? I imagine, live, because you need to know who to cull. How do you weight a chicken?

Back
Top Bottom