Does anyone have experience with Brown Leghorns?

jmc

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
like are they over the top nervous?

they are so beautiful and such great layers that they are pretty tempting.............

I have experience with very nervous birds: Khaki Campbell ducks. So I am not new to neurotics, and I know very well how after time birds that are nervous can really calm down.....................

So anyone out there know about br. leghorns from personal expericne?

mnferalkitty

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Minnesota
I have some and my roo is super nice the hens are a bit flighty but no different then some of my other chickens but I don't really take the time to tame my chickens. They are one of my favorite breeds.

jmc

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
thanks, lori.

i have noticed your avatar before! man, that is one freakish lookin' cat!!!

oh yes, and about the leghorns LOL..........the temptation is growing. They are so lovely, I think.

Do your girls fly out of the pens much

or

lay eggs in far-flung places?

LindaJean

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
McCleary, Wa
My experience with Brown Leghorns is only 6 weeks long - I have 5 hens and 1 Rooster. At this stage they don't seem especially nervous. They are not as friendly as Barred Rocks but they don't freak out when I'm around. The rooster is going to be stunning - going to a farm tomorrow - and the hens will also be beautiful. From them I'll get white eggs and that's why I got them

mnferalkitty

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Minnesota
thanks, lori.

i have noticed your avatar before! man, that is one freakish lookin' cat!!!

oh yes, and about the leghorns LOL..........the temptation is growing. They are so lovely, I think.

Do your girls fly out of the pens much

or

lay eggs in far-flung places?
He's a good cat never given me any problems
my leghorns lay in the nest box 100% but they do fly out of the pen, I free range but on occasion I do pen them up for different reasons and the leghorns get out of the 5ft fence including the rooster. I do fet 1-2 eggs from each hen a day even in winter

Last edited:

jmc

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
thanks, linda and lori.

i have a 7000 square foot run for them, which has a 5' high perimeter fence. so i suppose they could easily fly out. BUT since they have a nice large area already, maybe they will be less likely to do so................

Even so, I am sure they come back to pen as day wears on....................also, I LIKE THE FACT THAT THEY COULD GET SOMEWHAT AIRBORN, should a predator come at them.

At least they would have a chance that my Brahmas, say, definitely would not.

That appeals to me. I am out in the wilderness,

linda nice little cockerel there. so lovely!

retiredwithchicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Byrdstown, TN
I have had them before and liked them, good layers, will fly, nice. I have 8 about 4 weeks old given to me by a 15 year old former neighbor that I had given some to a few years back. I didn't need more but he was proud to be able to give me some and I will enjoy them. BUT, as usual, looks like 5 roosters and 3 hens in the bunch. lol These are nervous and jump, fly, and run when I am around. My dog likes to aggravate the chickens by running up to the fence and barking so they might have reason to be jumpy. I don't have trouble with the dog bothering them when they are out but she just likes the reaction she gets.

Top Bottom