Does anyone have pictures of Amberlink and Leghorn chicks to compare and play guess the breed?

Chicken116

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Virginia
While waiting for my hatchery order (card got charged today, yay!) I accidentally brought home some chicks 2 weeks ago from the local-ish Rural King. The breed I'm after is California Grey, so when the RK had some labeled California White (which means a CG rooster was involved) I had a few jump in my car.

Once home though I realized they were nothing like what CA White should be (yellow with black dots). So I went back and as an educated guess, there were a few California Whites mixed in with some labeled Amberlink (which I bravely resisted them this time). The original bin I'd bought from still had some chicks like mine and the (more knowledgable employee this time) was certain they were Amberlinks. That said, the only other breed candidate were some white Leghorns in another bin..

But, I'm still wondering if I might have gotten Leghorns. Not that it really matters and if I just wait a few weeks I should know. That said, does anyone have photos to do a side-by-by side? Going through all the zillions of online hatchery photos makes me unsure, especially where some of the chick photos were clearly recycled. I THINK the Leghorns have more robust and 'yellow-y-er' legs. But I'm not sure.

Cutie pix when they first got home (now known as Dot, Abby (for Abby Normal, one eyelid is fused closed), BooBoo (for her beak which is healing nicely), Buffy, Blondie, and one that never grew more than this and died:

chicks.jpg

and a bit older--I realized I don't have any good leg pictures at the moment:

torchic vs swablu copy.jpg

They look like white Rocks.
Not CX, not Amberlinks, not Leghorns.

Oh boy, another breed to consider. There weren't any of those that were 'supposed' to be there. Sigh.

They are adorable whatever they are, growing and flapping, and other than the one with 'failure to thrive' (just never grew even though it acted normal at first). There is another with an eyelid defect, but she seems fine otherwise.

Update once feathered out! It's too soon to tell much of anything for sure other than they're not Cornish crosses
And they were selling those too :D. The only breed that would have been truly problematic. I want eggs!

And yes, will be very curious as they feather in. And see when/if their earlobes change color (red for Amberlink, white for Leghorn if my google-fu is correct). Or eggs. Brown vs. white.

That said, I'm not really supposed to be keeping this silly group. The breed I want (California Grey) is now on it's way from Privett. Between the minimum order, this unexpected purchase, AND the fact I have city restrictions...well, I am rehoming a lot of these chicks. Thankfully I have enough chicken people around me to make this feasible. I'll keep all the chicks until ready for the great outdoors then start picking my favorites.

They look like white Rocks.
Not CX, not Amberlinks, not Leghorns.
It seems like it was an order from Hoovers that filled the bins there, and I don't see White Rocks on their list (though with all the hatchery sites I've been scrolling through I may be confused). I'm hoping to lose that as an option! The White Rock looks like a great breed and I'd love them, except I was aiming for 5# hens and no bigger. City restrictions and coop/run size make me want to go smaller for hens. I might be overthinking this though.

Well, I ended up giving them all to my vet's tech who raises chickens. She had a broody hen and I gave her four of the Privett babies (two Easter Eggers and two California Greys) plus all 5 of the mystery chicks. She has a wonderful set up and the four littles got a real mom!

She sent me a few photos from 10 days ago (I'm trying not to pester her for updates). Still non-descript and white. This photo I think they are 5 weeks old. I'm not exactly sure as I'm not sure how old they were when I bought them.

The solo shot is of one that had an eyelid defect (and yes, my vet took a look...did I mention he is my friend? Which is how I found out his tech loves chickens!). If I had to pick today, I'd say Leghorns.

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8015.jpg
    IMG_8015.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 34

Back
Top Bottom