Does anyone here have an organic or all natural flock?

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
We buy our feed from a farmer who makes his own cornmeal and sell our eggs to organic co op and hoping to sell organic chicks,hens and roosters but im wondering if anyone bothers with it seems like im alone with it out here in the boonys

chickensducks&agoose :

yes. We feed only organic feeds, and wish that we'd make more money when selling pullets etc., but so far, nobody wants to pay a premium for Organic... but we do it anyway. $20 for a 50lb bag of feed. ouch.

Oh god ours isnt that high its $10.70​

Quote:
Oh god ours isnt that high its $10.70

Wow, I pay $15 for NON-organic. Wish I could get organic that cheap. I do plan on visiting a new organic-only feed store tomorrow though to see what they offer. I hope it is affordable. I feed "natural" so far, but not organic.

It wasn't always like that over the months he has increased it since we buy it in bulk we get anywhere from 10 to 20 50lb bags and then we give the chickens all natural flock blocks and an all natural water powder that was suppose to increase egg laying and stop them from pecking and eating feathers but i don't think it worked so now im trying to hatch out 80 chicks for my mom to have an increase in laying production come winter

We feed organic, as do most folks I know. That said, I have not seen where chicks or eggs are selling for more than the non-organic. Eggs around here sell for pretty much the same organic vs free-range (non organic)

Quote:
Because like chickensducks&agoose said nobody wants to pay a premium for Organic...People like the sound of it but they dont want to pay the price for it i mean it cost more to feed the chickens organic then non organic since the feeds have all that stuff mixed into it to make them lay more and fill them up than the organic feeds

sometimes people want to buy eggs from me, but they want to pay $2, when just expense wise (not counting labor etc.) each dozen costs me about $3... but they can get cheap eggs from walmart, and somehow think they're doing me a favor by buying from me instead.... when really, I'm giving them a buck for each dozen.... so I usually will just give them a carton, once... It makes more sense for me to make scrambled eggs for dinner rather than selling an 'extra' dozen.

chickensducks&agoose :

sometimes people want to buy eggs from me, but they want to pay $2, when just expense wise (not counting labor etc.) each dozen costs me about $3... but they can get cheap eggs from walmart, and somehow think they're doing me a favor by buying from me instead.... when really, I'm giving them a buck for each dozen.... so I usually will just give them a carton, once... It makes more sense for me to make scrambled eggs for dinner rather than selling an 'extra' dozen.

Yeah the co op we sell to we sell the eggs to him $1.75 and he charges $2.75 we saw one of the cartons he had returned to us with a sticker on it and when the feed prices go up every time we go up 10 cents so it wont be long before we charge $2 and he charges $3​

Back
Top Bottom