Does anyone here have elderberries? And what do you do with them?

Feb 14, 2021
Arkansas
I discovered we had elderberries (I think that is what these are) growing wild in our woods when I was gifted four chickens back in 2019. Looked like it was safe for chickens and humans to eat, so I let the chickens gorge themselves. Only one really liked them. Then I hatched chicks in 2020 and they LOVE them. In 2021, I hatched more chicks and they LOVE them too. Last year, the raccoons came and ate a bunch and I'd like to see if I can deter the raccoons from coming by picking them... and if I do, would it be for human consumption, or should pick them and freeze them so the chickens can eat them when they are out of season? Does anyone here eat elderberries, and if so, how did you cook them? Here is one of the trees. (If anyone has elderberries, I'd love a confirmation that these ARE elderberries. Don't want to poison myself. 😂 ) This one is actually growing inside the chicken's run.

IMG_2900.JPG

Download the Seek app. It’s free and identifies plants and insects just by hovering your camera over the thing you want to identify. Very cool! I planted elderberries this year and my chickens demolished them. 😂 I’m planning to fence them off next year so *I* can use them. 😆 Elderberry syrup is a staple in my houseful of littles in the winter!

Yep, looks just like the native elderberries we have growing here in SW WA, zone 8. I forage them every fall while on my mushroom hikes. I freeze them on stem (the berries are much easier to remove from the stem when frozen) or use them immediately in a tincture that our family takes all fall/winter to boost our immune systems. They can also be dried in a dehydrator for a variety of uses, which I'd like to do, but we always use them up in other ways before I get around to it. I DO dry the flowerheads in my dehydrators for making tea.

Regarding statements on poisoning, and cooking for human consumption, have a look at this: The truth about Elderberries
Makes a lot of sense to me, but to each their own.

Make those chickens share some with you!

Back
Top Bottom