Does anyone here NOT vaccinate for fowl pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kingsfarm, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    I had an out break of fowl pox.. at the same time fram 18 chicks became 6 wks of age, vaccinated them...had 2 chicks that became blind and had to be put down, cloroxed the pen and sprayed with .. o shoot can't think of the name of the stuff, anyway...today 6 week old Isa Brown chicks are ready to come out of the brooder.....do I vaccinate because I have had an outbreak in the past? or some people do not vaccinate - why....what is best to do....I love my chicks....lets hear from you....G I hate not to... what is the harm in vaccinating some people don't believe in it...why... just asking

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hmmm...well, I don't vaccinate. I am TRYING to keep them as natural as possible although I have had to use penicillin once on a couple of mine. That being said....I only have 7 girls and they all came at the same time from the same hatchery at 2 days old so I do not have any experience bringing in birds from other places. So the odds of my girls getting anything are lessened. Given other circumstances I might vaccinate too.

3. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    kimclain1...I live in Louisiana....lots and lots and lots of mosquitos....if I had only a few I think I would try to take a chance again and Not vaccinate, but 25 will be a mess...I just can't see the WRONG in vaccinating them ... am open...my last two chicks died so I still hesitate.. thanks for answering... fowl pox comes from mosquitoes...

4. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Quote:LOL, That is a huge question!

In a nut shell, there are different ways of looking at the health and well being of a person/animal/plant.

One group of people say all bacteria/virus/fungus is bad and should be destroyed... the body should be over stimulated to attack and destroy the bacteria/virus if possible, and if the bodies are harmed by the overstimulation then that's a risk which is worth taking.

Another group of people believe a healthy body is able to fight off disease causing organisms and a body that catches an infection has a nutritional or other problem which should be addressed in order for the body to be healthy. This group must research the diseases a little more thouroughly and understand the mechanisms of how the body copes/fights off the infection.

Which belief system you have will determine your thinking regarding vaccines.

If you read the white sheet which should come with your vaccines, you will see the possible 'side effects,' read that, that is the obvious harm in vaccinating...

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I do not vaccinate for fowl pox, I'm one of those outdated ignorant breeders that need to be educated into the 20th century [​IMG].

Truthfully, I have just grown up around fowl and we never vaccinated for anything. About the only medications I remember my father giving were worm medication, and maybe some other types for specific diseases that were not too harsh. We have never dealt with a lot of disease, but have known people who vaccinated for fowl pox at which point their birds got fowl pox and I don't recall ours ever catching it (though I could be wrong, we may have had it once and only a few that I don't recall).

From my observation, our fowl have always been healthier than that of the people who vaccinated routinely.

That is just my view, it works for me; so I don't change it.

God bless,
    Daniel.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never have. If I lived below the Gnat Line in south GA, I might consider it, but I don't vaccinate for anything.

7. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    ...if you read and believe everything you find regarding vaccinations, treatments, medications, etc., you will be a full time applicator of medications, drugs, etc. If not, most of your flock will survive nicely.

8. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    VACCINES are completely natural. They are a weak or dead germ injected into the body so that the antibodies can be prepared if a stronger form of it comes along. Some people don't believe in vaccines because
    A. They thinks it's an antibiotic
    B. The vaccine could be too strong and actually infect them with the illness.

And that has happened a lot. Some folks I know got the swine flu vaccine during that outbreak, and they got it a week later very hard hit. It's up to you!

NOTE: They probably already have been "vaccinated" for it. They have been exposed to it in small amounts and aren't sick! YIPPEE! [​IMG]

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:X-2

10. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    We do not vaccinate for anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by