Does anyone keep a flock Journal?

Manok-Tao

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
W-S NC
I have a startup flock of 8 laying hens (had a few hens a couple years ago but other than that) and I'm new to the hobby. does anyone keep any type of journal on thier backyard flock; and if so what type of data do you capture? (weight, molts, laying, health issues, brooding, treats, etc..?) I keep one for my garden so I know what did well.....One when breeding Lab pups......One on my perrenials... (yea I'm a bit picky)
Getting into chickens now so I'm curious as to what (if anything) is retained in journals?

I keep a calendar in which I record how many eggs from which breeds and the weather stats every day. It's fun to add up the weeks total eggs or even the months' total.

I don't, but I caught one of my hens hiding a small book and a sparkly gel pen under the bedding the other day...

wink.png

I keep a chicken jounal! If a broody hen starts setting then I count up to see when they will hatch or if my chickens do something funny then I write it down! And I have a list of treats and breeds I want and things of that sort! I have my own littl chicken book just for my chickies!

I have a hatch record book I made. It pretty cool as it is digital and offers 3d page turn. You open it up on your computer and write in the book. I added stuff like candling tips and how long it takes.
In the main records I have set # which pen, rooster, humidity, incubator temp, room temp, pretty much everything that is needed to keep when hatching. If anyone wants one just contact me and I will give details. I don't want to do it here so I don't get in trouble.

I keep a chicken journal. (also keep a garden journal and a personal journal)
It started with a calendar to track weekly brooder temps, bedding changes and treats.
Now it's a book where I keep the detailed egg log and general observations about the chickens. It's fun to look at the trends in the egg data.
I record the chickens' weight every few mos. to make sure everyone's gaining weight at a reasonable pace.

I keep a journal, its really just a record of eggs per day sales and expenditure. Plus any thing I feel I should write in, like when I intorduce new chicks, any problems etc, so I can look back and if need be do it differently next time.

I keep track of the number of eggs, the size and their color, as well as costs and profits.

I used to keep a very detailed one.

Now, I just keep a weekly planner that I write everything in. I keep up with rabbit breeding and chicken hatching, pig, dog, sheep and goat due dates.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom