1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone keep a flock Journal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Manok-Tao, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    I have a startup flock of 8 laying hens (had a few hens a couple years ago but other than that) and I'm new to the hobby. does anyone keep any type of journal on thier backyard flock; and if so what type of data do you capture? (weight, molts, laying, health issues, brooding, treats, etc..?) I keep one for my garden so I know what did well.....One when breeding Lab pups......One on my perrenials... (yea I'm a bit picky)
    Getting into chickens now so I'm curious as to what (if anything) is retained in journals?

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I keep a calendar in which I record how many eggs from which breeds and the weather stats every day. It's fun to add up the weeks total eggs or even the months' total.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I don't, but I caught one of my hens hiding a small book and a sparkly gel pen under the bedding the other day...

[​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I keep a chicken jounal! If a broody hen starts setting then I count up to see when they will hatch or if my chickens do something funny then I write it down! And I have a list of treats and breeds I want and things of that sort! I have my own littl chicken book just for my chickies!

5. Rocky Meadows

Rocky Meadows Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Lawton Michigan
    I have a hatch record book I made. It pretty cool as it is digital and offers 3d page turn. You open it up on your computer and write in the book. I added stuff like candling tips and how long it takes.
    In the main records I have set # which pen, rooster, humidity, incubator temp, room temp, pretty much everything that is needed to keep when hatching. If anyone wants one just contact me and I will give details. I don't want to do it here so I don't get in trouble.

6. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I keep a chicken journal. (also keep a garden journal and a personal journal)
    It started with a calendar to track weekly brooder temps, bedding changes and treats.
    Now it's a book where I keep the detailed egg log and general observations about the chickens. It's fun to look at the trends in the egg data.
    I record the chickens' weight every few mos. to make sure everyone's gaining weight at a reasonable pace.

7. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    I keep a journal, its really just a record of eggs per day sales and expenditure. Plus any thing I feel I should write in, like when I intorduce new chicks, any problems etc, so I can look back and if need be do it differently next time.

8. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I keep track of the number of eggs, the size and their color, as well as costs and profits.

9. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Quote:[​IMG]

hehehe mine too!!

10. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I used to keep a very detailed one.

Now, I just keep a weekly planner that I write everything in. I keep up with rabbit breeding and chicken hatching, pig, dog, sheep and goat due dates.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by