Does anyone know about swans?

chickmommar

Songster
12 Years
Jun 7, 2007
Central SC (recently central OK)
The local rehabber just got in 3 black swans who are a little over 3 weeks old. Does anyone know about swans? Do they need to be kept warm like chicks and ducklings? How does one tell the gender? Is it best for them to be in pairs, groups, alone? Thanks for any info.

I will also be looking for homes for these guys - will post on the buy/sell/trade board. I'm in OK.

I really don't know much about swans, wish I did. They are soooo pretty. We have a local restaraunt here that had swans but they are gone now with winter. I do believe they like to be together.
I know it's not much help. Sorry

You might search the following book titles - not sure how good these references are but they may help.

Swan Keeper's Handbook: A Guide to the Care of Captive Swans by Geoffrey R. Gardner (Editor)

Swan Breeding & Management by Loyl Stromberg
Instruction on how to manage and care for your swans and to get them to nest successfully. Includes care of swans through the year, important factors in reproduction, raising babies with the mother or in a brooder, feeding the babies, incubating the eggs, pinioning, determining sex, swan feeders, etc.

Places like Amazon and gamebird.com possible sources.
JJ

I am pretty sure they need to be kept warm, just like ducks and geese. Three weeks is pretty old, though, so not too warm. Waterfowl don't need as much heat as chickens.

They do like to live in pairs. Not sure about trios. Some breeds of swan mate for life. They can also be somewhat aggressive during mating season.

That is all I know for sure.

Let me know if you need someone to take them. I am an apprentice rehabber in SE KS.

I read somewhere that the big thing about swans is that they have to be able to swim a great deal of the time because they are very heavy and thier legs are not made to support the weight of their body very much. Not sure how valid that is, but I probably would not test it to find out. JMHO

Thanks everyone for giving me what you have! Deeszoo, yes we do need a home for them. KS is pretty close. I'm in central OK. If you come across a good spot for them, please let me know. I'd think that if someone in KS would meet me halfway, it would be do-able. If you'd like to have them, that's great too.

chickmom at gmail. com

frow.gif

Hi, Chick Mom!!!

Back
Top Bottom