Does anyone know the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunnychooks, Apr 13, 2008.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I have 11 4 week old White Rocks and 1 4 week old Leghorn. Is there any way to tell which is the Leghorn? Is there a difference in conformation that I can look for? Will the Leghorn be smaller at this age? They all look the same!!! :eek:

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's a tough one... the leghorns will be smaller and flightier than the rocks, however.. it will be hard to figure out if you have flighty smaller rocks... leghorns are usually "longer and skinnier" than rocks but at 4 weeks... tough, since they are still in chick grown stages.

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I guess I'll have to look for the skinny, long, flighty, little chicken! [​IMG]
    At what age will the earlobes on the Rocks start to turn red? I have a feeling I may have to wait for that to happen!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... the males of either breed will turn red first at about 5-6 weeks, and then the girls will turn from 16-20 weeks or so! But by the 4 month mark, the leghorn will be about 2-3 lbs and your rocks 3-4.

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I dont think it should be that hard to tell the difference. The rocks will be built much heavier, even at 4 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by