Does anyone know what breed these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purpledonna, Nov 8, 2009.

1. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Any experienced eyes out there? I brought these 2 as 12 week olds...... meant to be girls but the one in the rear is making rooster like noises..... I would like to know if they are a certain breed or just mixed up chooks! Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That is definately a rooster! They look like some kind of Rhode Island Red cross, or "production red". They are one of the best laying breeds you can get [​IMG]

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    The hen looks like a production red except for the legs they look kinda willowish-yellow, maybe just the pic/flash though.

The roo looks to be a sex-link type, ie: Gsl or Red sex-link. Now before I get pounced by someone, every once in a while these hen colored sex linked roos crop out. Ive seen quite a few on this site. and don't forget that sex-links don't breed true so it could be a breed back of a GSL.

catdaddy

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    1 roo 1 hen. Both look like Red Sex Links.

5. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I would say that's deffinatley a rooster too, I have 3 hens that look very similar to the one on the right ...thought they were red Sussex but now think different

6. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    I agree roo and hen and I am gonna have to say that they are probably mixed breeds... just .02 worth

7. purpledonna

purpledonna Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    Thanks everyone! Agnes..... or rather Arthur has returned to the shop and a little girl has come to stay! [​IMG]

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    1 roo 1 hen They look like some production red crosses.

9. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:I think that's probably what they are, too. Feathersite.com has a picture of a Golden Comet roo that looks a lot like yours. Maybe a Golden Comet pair? Where'd you get them?

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sex-links are bred for the purpose of being able to be sexed at birth. The offspring of the initial cross to get the sex-links will not be able to reproduce the attributes that make them sex-links. In other words, they won't breed true. They will hatch chicks that are any variation of the mother's color, male's color, etc.

So, I believe that your birds are the result of two sex-linked parents bred together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by