Does anyone know what I should do?

ChickChick0811

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 16, 2011
I'm new to this thread and NEVER thought I would ever have to post on it. I was so excited today to find my first egg. Unfortunately, it had no shell and felt like jelly. As I was there all upset on the looks of my first egg, I noticed ne of my hens pecking at her back and when she lifted her feathers I saw what looked like a skin tag. When I took her out and really looked the skin tag has 2 small feathers coming out of it. I'm freaking out know and I'm afraid of Marek's Disease. If it is I believe it would be the cutaneous mareks disease. Does this kind cause death? We hatched the chickens ourselves back in April. My husband built them a huge coop and even though they are free range there are no other chickens around (I do know that people down the road have chickens, but that's pretty far away. We did visit an apple orchard last week that had a bunch of chickens (could I have stepped in something and brought it home with me?) I have a 4 year old daughter who watched all 16 chickens hatch (we only kept 5 of them). She is so afraid of animals, but for some reason fell in love with these girls. At any given moment you will find her sitting with them or bringing them over to her sandbox to "play" She will be devastated if she finds one dead. What should I do?! HELP!
hit.gif

I responded on the other thread as well - check and see if it may be her oil gland. They can be prominent, and are located on their backs, above their tail. Don't panic! Soft shelled, shell-less, odd shaped eggs are all possiblilities with new layers.

If that "tag" was above the tail it was the oil gland...as was said. Your hen was probably collecting oil on her beak to groom her feathers. THey really are pretty hardy birds. JUst try to relax and enjoy your birds!
hugs.gif
Terri O

THANK YOU GUYS! Yes it's on her back just above her tail feathers! I feel better now that you guys wrote back. I barely slept last night
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I watch my birds like a hawk and stress myself silly over everything. My DH keeps telling me, "They're chickens. They have a great life, but from the egg, we know the life will be relatively short. Just enjoy them!" I'm trying to remember that everytime I see them do something unusual. So, don't stress yourself too much, enjoy your birdies and celebrate your new egg. It was their first time and sometimes the first ones are a little goofy. Have you heard the term fart egg? Such a funny expression but true. She'll get better at laying eggs with shells. And if not, you'll have one free loader that gives you pleasure in other ways besides eggs.

Forgot to add, make sure they have free choice oyster shell available. Commerical feed is supposed to have enough calcium, but I have placed free choice oyster shell and my girls go at it like gang busters, so clearly they need more calcium than their feed has. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Quote:
This isn't my thread, but as a "mother hen" currently stressing over sick babies, Thank you for the reminder!
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone. It's true I need to enjoy them. They always have oyster shells available and every morning they each get a treat of greek yogurt, cheese, grapes, apples and cherries. My husband says they eat better then we do
wink.png
One morning (right after I had a pedicure done) I went out in flip flops....I know I know pretty stupid of me..I learned a lesson NEVER pant your toe nails cherry red if your chicken's favorite snack is cherries! I had one chicken going nuts at my feet. Looking back I wish I had it on video that would've been a great one to post here
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom