1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone know what is wrong with this chick eye and how to treat it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by healthyasdotme, Nov 11, 2011.

1. healthyasdotme

healthyasdotme Out Of The Brooder

My friends chick has a swollen eye and it is grey and appears to be blind in the eye. The wing on the same side as the eye is wet like the chick has been rubbing it's eye on its wing to maybe scratch it's eye? Do you know what is wrong with it and how it could have got it and how to treat it and will the sight come back? Her other chicks are all healthy as are the mums. I have a photo I can add but dont know how to so if anyone can explain that I can get it up tomorrow.
    The chick has been removed from the other chicks and mums and spent the day in her bath with water and food. It was happy enough but didnt move too much but did little chirp sentences when it was spoken to and did trott along to the voice okay. Now at night has been put in an incubator with some eggs incubating to keep it warm overnight. It did If it is some sort of disease would it transfer into the chick through the eggshell? Thanks for your help [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You may want to look up occular Marek's, and see if that's what she is dealing with.

Good luck.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think I would first guess eye infection or eye injury. Yes some illnesses can transfer thru an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by