1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone know what kind of chickens these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dinag, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dinag

dinag New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    Hi please help me my daughters got these chickens for a birthday and I don't know if I should have them outside or if its too cold if they are female or male? Can anyone help.they are dark and light brown kinda red one is very light . One also has a organ looking skin between his eyes .[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    So sorry but we will really need to see some pics. [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    That "organ" between the eyes is called a 'comb'. All chickens, male and female, have one. I would suggest doing some research on chickens in general [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:By "organ looking skin" I'm assuming you mean the comb, and most likely a walnut, pea, or rose comb. . . ?

6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    post pics???

7. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

You came to the right place! Post some pics. Research breeds, and chicken coops. They'll be fine outside as long as they have shelter. I'm always pushing the "Doghouse coop". Check Craigslist for stuff like this:
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!!!

8. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Impossible to tell what you have from your description. Pictures are needed.
    Do you have any idea how old the chickens are? Do they look like they have a full coat of feathers? or do they still have some fluff?
    If they aren't fully feathered, they need to be in a brooder (just a big box basically that they live in until big enough to go outside) with heat and chick crumbles and water.
    If they are fully feathered they can live outside with the shelter of a coop of some sort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by