Does anyone know what this is and how do I fix it?

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
i Notice this on my Plymouth Rock after she had a wound on neck... after applying blu kote and a loose bandage to help the skin reattach and to allow the wound to heal i noticed this weird “growth“ on her neck where the wound was... it’s soft to touch and feels kinda fleashy.
there is a small scab underneath where it is still healing.... does anyone know what it is and how do I fix it?

PHOTO WARNING: THE IMAGE SHOWS THE GROWTH ON MY CHICKENS NECK AND SOME PEOPLE MAY FIND IT DISTURBING.

Attachments

• 5935A49B-07DB-48B8-AE83-268143738121.jpeg
    5935A49B-07DB-48B8-AE83-268143738121.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 28
If the skin had been torn to the point that it was a flap and it has now reattached and is still viable, that is likely the way it will always look.
I would apply some triple antibiotic ointment and leave it alone.

I agree with Tonya... it is probably just scar tissue.

If the wound involved a flap of skin and the edges sort of overlapped instead of lining up exactly, you would end up with an extra little “tag” of skin where the overlapped part didn’t have anything to heal to. The end result would be a fleshy sort of flat growth.

It’s difficult to tell from the pic... Does my description match with what you are seeing?

I agree with Tonya... it is probably just scar tissue.

If the wound involved a flap of skin and the edges sort of overlapped instead of lining up exactly, you would end up with an extra little “tag” of skin where the overlapped part didn’t have anything to heal to. The end result would be a fleshy sort of flat growth.

It’s difficult to tell from the pic... Does my description match with what you are seeing?
It’s kind of like a ball of fleash about the same size of a cat toy ball... I will try and get a better picture tomorrow when my daughter can help me.... it makes her neck feathers stick out and flap about on that side of her neck...

It’s kind of like a ball of fleash about the same size of a cat toy ball... I will try and get a better picture tomorrow when my daughter can help me.... it makes her neck feathers stick out and flap about on that side of her neck...

Please do add some more pictures... try to get some varied angles. (Tip— sometimes you get better pix if you don’t zoom in much. You can crop & enlarge the photo after you’ve taken it....)

If the flapping feathers bug her or if you hate them, you can trim the feathers around the area. Trimming feathers back may make it easier to get good pictures, but remember, they won’t grow back until she molts.

It certainly didn’t look as big as a cat toy in the pic in your OP. I thought it was much smaller, maybe like a medium-sized marble...

How is it attached?
• Is the ball attached by a thin (or thinner) “stalk”? (<< aka pedunculated)
This would be consistent with the theory of some of the flap of injured skin protruding beyond the border of the original wound.​

• Or is it more like a marble (or other object) pushing up from under her skin?
This could be a foreign body trapped in the wound. Or it could be a cyst that formed in the damaged tissue. If it seems to be painful in any way, (try wiggling a feather or 2) it could be an abscess (which won’t go away unless it’s drained).​

• Some other attachment? (Please describe...)

What all have you done to the wound, originally... and now to the lump/flap/growth/ whatever it is....?

Please do add some more pictures... try to get some varied angles. (Tip— sometimes you get better pix if you don’t zoom in much. You can crop & enlarge the photo after you’ve taken it....)

If the flapping feathers bug her or if you hate them, you can trim the feathers around the area. Trimming feathers back may make it easier to get good pictures, but remember, they won’t grow back until she molts.

It certainly didn’t look as big as a cat toy in the pic in your OP. I thought it was much smaller, maybe like a medium-sized marble...

How is it attached?
• Is the ball attached by a thin (or thinner) “stalk”? (<< aka pedunculated)
This would be consistent with the theory of some of the flap of injured skin protruding beyond the border of the original wound.​

• Or is it more like a marble (or other object) pushing up from under her skin?
This could be a foreign body trapped in the wound. Or it could be a cyst that formed in the damaged tissue. If it seems to be painful in any way, (try wiggling a feather or 2) it could be an abscess (which won’t go away unless it’s drained).​

• Some other attachment? (Please describe...)

What all have you done to the wound, originally... and now to the lump/flap/growth/ whatever it is....?
So when the injury happened she had this very flappy piece of skin hanging off her neck.. I cleaned it with warm water and applied blu kote and a loose bandage to act like a band aid to hold the skin down in the hope that it would reattach itself....
these are photos just taken the last photo where I have my fingers either side of it shows it’s width but it is quite a ball and makes the feathers stick up in that area when she’s just walking around...

if you need more or better photos let me know even though she has already been through molt I may just trim around it and see if it helps it heal...

Attachments

• 790EDD2B-02D8-4CAF-AC3D-965BE0C25D9A.jpeg
    790EDD2B-02D8-4CAF-AC3D-965BE0C25D9A.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 23
  • F4944F72-73EC-4D33-916D-72C37F3155B8.jpeg
    F4944F72-73EC-4D33-916D-72C37F3155B8.jpeg
    891.7 KB · Views: 15
  • EBEED3EC-BE55-4100-8150-6BF4C3577956.jpeg
    EBEED3EC-BE55-4100-8150-6BF4C3577956.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 15
  • B6EDDA5B-D748-4154-9ADB-AC29B9E82F2A.jpeg
    B6EDDA5B-D748-4154-9ADB-AC29B9E82F2A.jpeg