Does anyone let their chickens sleep outside?

Does shade cloth further "break up" wind? (Never used it, but I would think SO.) As I will also be needing to put up SOMETHING for shade, preferable that doesn't also trap heat. Just doing my typical over thinking! LOL
Yes, shade cloth would break up wind, too.

Have you tried opening a window in a house, with the screen on or off? It's surprising what a difference things like screen or fabric can make. Air still goes through, but it has to slow down.

For shade without trapping heat: whether you use a solid roof or shade cloth, you could put it at an angle. That way instead of heat rising and sitting underneath, the heat can keep rising up along the slope and go out the top edge.

Yes, shade cloth would break up wind, too.

Have you tried opening a window in a house, with the screen on or off? It's surprising what a difference things like screen or fabric can make. Air still goes through, but it has to slow down.

For shade without trapping heat: whether you use a solid roof or shade cloth, you could put it at an angle. That way instead of heat rising and sitting underneath, the heat can keep rising up along the slope and go out the top edge.
Actually I have not tried it, but I have heard that is the case. A solid roof would HAVE to be at an angle due to snow in the winter anyway.

There’s a big difference between day and night temps where I live, but the chickens have adjusted fine; it works out well in the summer because it gives them a chance to cool down.
My coop is positioned to keep them out of the prevailing wind most of the year, but I see you get wind from all directions. We actually do too, but the strongest winds come from the west during the afternoon, especially during summer. Do you have a time of day when winds generally pick up, and a particular direction where those winds come from (I know this depends on the season)?
I think they should be fine as long as you have a plan to block the wind when needed - so they don’t get blown away of course.

There’s a big difference between day and night temps where I live, but the chickens have adjusted fine; it works out well in the summer because it gives them a chance to cool down.
My coop is positioned to keep them out of the prevailing wind most of the year, but I see you get wind from all directions. We actually do too, but the strongest winds come from the west during the afternoon, especially during summer. Do you have a time of day when winds generally pick up, and a particular direction where those winds come from (I know this depends on the season)?
I think they should be fine as long as you have a plan to block the wind when needed - so they don’t get blown away of course.
"Generally" from the west. But sometimes north or south. LOL Other than winter when it is generally from the north, except when it isn't. LOL But I'm not worried about the winter. If need be they will be locked INSIDE the 12/12 "coop" at night when the weather is really crappy.

In the summer, wind generally picks up /occurs at night. (Between dark and daylight.) Which is why the temp usually drops significantly over night.

"Generally" from the west. But sometimes north or south. LOL Other than winter when it is generally from the north, except when it isn't. LOL But I'm not worried about the winter. If need be they will be locked INSIDE the 12/12 "coop" at night when the weather is really crappy.

In the summer, wind generally picks up /occurs at night. (Between dark and daylight.) Which is why the temp usually drops significantly over night.
😁 The winds here are hard to explain too and kind of unpredictable at times. Perhaps you can make sure that at least the west wind is blocked. When you get your chickens in there just watch their reactions, and adjust when/if needed. Make the run easy to add wind breaks. Add additional areas in the run where they can shelter if needed, to help during the day.

I made an enclosed run attached to the coop and they'd rather sleep out there than in the coop. I put plastic on 3 walls to keep the wind off them during the winter. It is secure so no worries. One real cold night they went into the coop a couple of days ago. I have a fenced in yard for them to run around in, and occasionally let them run wild like today. They will sleep where they want to.

As long as they are in a covered, protected run they should be fine outside. If not, then you run the risk of increased predation by raccoons, coyotes, weasels, and owls, just to name a few.
I have had a big problem with raccoons, and I just have to say that its really hard to keep a run (or pen for that matter) "secure" from them. They can climb, push doors open, and slip through the smallest holes. If they're hungry, its hard to keep them away. (I do understand not everyone live in racoon habitat)
But I always secure them in at night. A couple times when I have forgotten its not been pretty.:th

Back
Top Bottom