Does ANYONE look even close to laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 14, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I keep looking at the combs and watching them... so far they have not been too interested in the roo although he has tried dancing for them a few times.... they run away like he is a dirty old man! By now these girls should be about 18 wks according to the woman I got them from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will the black chicken in pic #3 ever get a red comb?? Patience is never a virtue I possessed and these girls are driving me nuts! Thanks.

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Hens start laying at about 21 weeks, sometimes older. Be patient. [​IMG]

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

The comb will probably get a bit redder than they currently are before they laying. My girls were 20-24 weeks when they began laying. A sign most of them manifested before they layed was the "squat". When I went into the run to check on them, etc, they would squat when I approached, slightly spreading their wings and sometimes stomping their feet. This is what they do for the rooster before he "does his job"! LOL Usually within a week of exhibiting this action, that hen would begin laying. Just something else for you to add to your signs to look forward to! [​IMG] And remember, patience [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by