Does anyone make chili using dried beans?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
I know I will have to soak them over night before using them...

there is some debate though as if I will have to also boil the beans before adding them to the meat

I want to slowly get away from using canned goods if I can. they are simply way to expensive here. Unless they are on sale a can of regular beans and pork can cost $1.50.. and I know some are rolling their eyes and saying pffft... $1.50 pllllease.. but this same can was $0.69 6 months ago so if the prices continue this way that same can will be way over $2.00 come june...

A 28oz can of diced tomatoes 6 months ago was $1.20. Today they are sitting at about $1.99 right now... the increase on these has not been as much but give it time.

I am planning a garden for the first time in about 10 years. I want to can as much as I can.. I am getting a pressure canner before the season starts

there is even talk of meat birds and because its my dad who wants them I told him he can purchase his birds I will care for them... and he will pay to have them processed or he can come do it himself including my birds which I will purchase.

so who has a recipe they want to share for chili with dried beans?

It would of course be cheaper to use your own seasonings and forgo the seasoning packets...but personally I'm very picky about my chili and so far I have not been able to duplicate the taste of these seasoning packets. Also this makes a LOT of chili it's enough for two meals for 3 adults easy. When I make this chili I put the leftovers in the frig for several days then drag it out and reheat it for that nights supper. It's homemade fast food. LOL

Chili With Small Red Beans

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package small red beans - You can use pintos if you can't find the red beans
9 cups water

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions – diced
2 stalks celery – diced
1 medium bell pepper – diced
6 cloves garlic – minced
1 package French’s Chili-O – chili seasoning mix
1 package Old El Paso (Hot and Spicy) – taco seasoning mix
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3 beef bullion cubes
1 chicken bullion cubes
4 cups water

Directions
1.In a pressure cooker, cook the beans and 9 cups of water for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.In a large stew pot, brown ground beef with vegetables until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
3.Add seasoning packets and stir well.
4.Add diced tomatoes, both cans of tomato paste, bullion cubes and 4 cups water stirring well.
5.Add beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and simmer covered for 1 hour stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
6.Serve with some grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream and buttered crackers.

I pressure cook my own beans because I prefer the small red beans instead of red kidney beans. It's harder to find canned small red beans on the grocery store shelves here. I cook a whole bag of dried beans in the pressure cooker after boiling them one minute, letting them soak, then I pour off the soaking water and add fresh water according to my cooker's directions. I make a recipe of chili with 2 cups of cooked beans and freeze the rest of the beans in 2 cup containers.

I get the beans I want, save money on the price of canned beans, and know I have only beans, water and a little salt (and a little oil ) in my pot.....win....win....win!

[the oil is to keep down the frothing from the beans that can clog the vent]

Yes, I make chili with dried beans.

I use pinto beans, but I've seen chili made with black beans. Pintos are the usual beans to make chili with, if you are going to use beans. There is some argument that beans don't belong in chili, but I like them.

I pick though the dry beans, clean them, rinse them, and put them straight into the crock pot with a chuck roast or a pork shoulder roast.

Add a couple of diced onions, some powdered cumin, a small pinch of dried oregano (you don't want to taste oregano, but it does add something), some dried Ancho chilies, and a dried chipotle. Cover with water, put the lid on the crock pot and simmer all day. When the meat is falling apart tender, the beans will be cooked. The meat gets shredded and added back into the chili. Watch the water level. Beans absorb a lot of water and they must be covered in water while they cook.

If you use hamburger, it must be browned before it goes into the crock pot.

If you want to use prepared spices, McCormick makes a decent flavored chili powder and Penzey's makes a decent chili powder. Most other brands I've tried have been lacking. Good chilies are expensive and you must pay or you won't get good chili

I remove stems and seeds from the dried chilies and put the pod in whole, but you can grind them first. Or buy them already ground. For pork chili, I use diced green chilies (Anaheims and poblanos), but don't add them until the end because the flavor cooks out of them and they are slightly costly. I don't want to use more than I have to.

why does the ground chuck need to be browned first?

when I am making chili using the canned beans I just mix it altogether raw chuck in all and put it on low for 10 hours stirring when ever i think about it..lol

To just cook plain beans, you can pick through and clean them. Then rinse them. Put them in the crock pot covered with water and leave them to simmer all day.

Once they are cooked, you can freeze them in whatever size container you are most likely to use. You can do that with any type of bean, including garbanzos.

I don't home can, but I believe that if you want to can beans, they must be cooked tender before they are canned. Seems to me they are easier to store dry and just cook as needed.

Oh yeah. One last thing. Do not add salt to beans while they are cooking. If you want salt, add it after they are done and ready to serve,

Quote:
You want to caramelize the meat to start a base of flavors. Have a look at this recipe I posted here a couple weeks ago. Note that I used finely cut up stew beef dredged in flour and browned, then I add the vegetables into the pan and brown them with them meat. Then I add my taco seasoning packet and brown that and then my liquids and beans.

Never salt beans or add tomato product to beans before the last hour of cooking - salt makes the beans tough, as does the acid in the tomato product.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=611140

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom