Does anyone NOT use a poop board and wish they had? or...

I just installed a poop board and love it. I feel like the coop stays nice and clean now. I just made a shallow wooden tray and hung it under the roost. About every 3 days I use a dustpan and just scoop up all the poo. It literally takes about 30 seconds and the coop is poop free. Ive just been pitching the poo off in the woods but plan on composting soon.

Thanks everyone. We decided we are going to leave it off for now, and if I want it we can add it later. I have a serious anxiety issue with germs and just picture myself going in the coop to check on everyone and just bumping the edge of that poop board and having to go in and change and shower.
lol.png
Mainly because it'll take up nearly a third of the width of the coop. Our new coop is only about 5' wide (inside measurement).

Oh and yes, the best part of the poop board is being able to check the health of the droppings.

None of the 6 coops I've had have had poop boards. I like to use deep litter and just toss a bit of shavings under the roosts as needed. I don't normally use any litter additives, just shavings. I like to keep a bale in the corner with a feed scoop in the top. It's handy. Once a year I shovel the litter out.

I started with one of those big old farm hen houses about thirty years ago, so my litter management style grew from that. That and a lifetime of managing compost piles.

There are so many different ways to manage every aspect of caring for chickens that work. When it comes to litter, as long as the air quality in the coop is good and doesn't smell bad, the chickens won't care.

Some people don't like to walk in a coop that has any visible poop in the litter, some people don't want to handle poop or poopy litter. Some don't care either way. Coop boots, coop shoes, gloves, hand tools or long handled tools can help. There's nothing wrong with a coop coat, either. Like an artist's smock or lab coat that you toss on before you run out there. A dust mask is always a good thing to wear when cleaning out litter, though, for anyone.

Some people like service doors to collect eggs or do some of the other chores, so they don't need to go inside as often. I really think people should do what makes them happy.

Quote:
I so agree with all of that. When we were working on the coop the other day, my 12 yo said 'do the chickens care?' when we were discussing a certain feature of it. I said no, the chickens only care if they have shelter. The coop design is not for the chickens-it's for MY convenience. If it was only what the chickens want, it would be a box with windows and a roost. lol.

I like your lab coat idea. I do have a light coat and a heavy coat that I don't wear anywhere else that I plan to use for chicken chores. Just not sure where I want to store it when I'm not using it.

You're right about that, chickens DO like windows!
big_smile.png

We keep a large boot tray by one door. It can hold snowy boots in the winter and coop/yard boots or shoes year round. It's a tiled little entry way, so it's not a big deal if we don't use a tray. If you have any kind of mud room area, that would work. You could hang a hook up by the door or use a standing coat rack.

If you have an attached garage or a storage building on the way to the coop, you could hang it up there, too.

After a big clean out, I just toss my clothes in the washer when I come in. The rest of the time, I don't get dirty just picking up eggs or topping off the food or tossing a scoop of clean litter under the roosts.

It's sometimes muddy here, too. I have a boot cleaner by the door that's really handy. It has a part where you can scrape off the bottom of your boot and brushes that scrape off the edges. That can also keep you from tracking so much stuff in on your footwear.

thanks for posting this topic, Gale65! I'm trying to decide the same issue. I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards not putting them in now and seeing how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom