Does anyone raise Silver Spangled Hamburgs?

I bought a SSH this year, and I have to say that while she is one of the prettiest birds in my flock, she is very flighty--literally. I am constantly finding her roosting on the roof of the barn, and when I try to put her down on the ground she squirms and scratches my arms. As far as noise goes my SSH is the quietest bird I've had. I probably will not be buying another SSH... they're a lovely breed of chicken but don't fit in well in my coop.

I adore my SSH, but I think that's because I feel sorry for it, haha. I've never been able to "touch" her, she avoids everyone... She is the LOWEST on the pecking order, doesn't seem to want to be higher, and even has a roach-back... But she beautiful and "talks" to me all the time (from a distance)!!

ok maybe mine are not the norm because mine was a little bit of a pain when I first got but now they are my most friendly and are so sweet I handle and pet them everyday im looking for more in anyone has some love to buy

We have 7 ssh all hens, initially, my opinion was that they weren't very good. They were very flighty, but after having them for 8 months now they're starting to grow on me. Some of them don't mind me picking them up, they lay a ton of eggs, though they are on the small side. These little hens are very good at evading predators, we have hawk, owls, coyotes and foxes near our home, and of the breeds we have none of the hamburgs have been injured. They're also willing to go out in the snow to get some sun. I don't know if I'll get more, but i will hatch out some of their offspring with my non hamburg Roos.

Discovered one gone broody and sitting on a clutch of around 20 eggs (no WAY was she going to let me count, lol) in the hay loft. We did get her and the eggs moved to the nesting boxes in the coop.

The nesting box is too high for chicks and there's no way it will fit her and all the chicks.

If it was another breed, I'd move them under the nesting boxes on the floor and give them a bit of their own space.

Suggestions??

I have a female, and shes my favorite. Yes, they are a beautiful bird. My girl, Miruna was a wild child when she was little (so wild, we thought she was a rooster!) but she has deifinetly calmed down. I wouldnt try to handle them until they are matured. Then they will settle down. They are a wild-like bird because they love free-ranging and are use to this situation. It's in their blood to be free. But try to bond with them first. I didnt hold my hen a whole lot when she was younger but now shes really calm and peaceful. Infact, that's what Miruna means! Peaceful one. They are great birds once they mature. Miruna also recieved Grand Champion at the fair, and was the calmest bird there on the table! I didnt even have to hold her down. She stood right there on the table! She handled the transortation and the new enviroment at the fair better then the other birds. Just give your birds time, they will calm down.

(Above) Miruna

(Above) Miruna yawns.

I adore my SSH, but I think that's because I feel sorry for it, haha. I've never been able to "touch" her, she avoids everyone... She is the LOWEST on the pecking order, doesn't seem to want to be higher, and even has a roach-back... But she beautiful and "talks" to me all the time (from a distance)!!
That's funny, cause my girl talks to me all the time too!

Back
Top Bottom