Does anyone see a problem withe starting with these hens

Quote: If one of your BO hens goes broody, you can either hatch these chicks under her, or slip day old chicks under her after she has been broody a couple of weeks. But as nice as BO hens are, if they are not broody, they WILL kill chicks unless there is a broody hen to protect them.

Just so you know........ sometimes it is tricky understanding exactly what is meant when typing.

Mrs K

I plan on raising them separate until they are old enough to fend for themselves. The brooder then move them to a coop next to my current coop and runs that are next to each other until I can put them together

OK, have found out that just because you want these breeds it is hard to find them. I cannt find them at a hatchery that has them all. Locally one or two.

If you want to order online I believe My Pet Chicken has most if not all of these breeds and you can order just a small number of chicks.

I think the delivery dates are in August. I think I may go with Meyer and get most the birds( combining with friend) in March. Then use them for the las one ore two

I got my salmon favorelles from a hatchery. They are sweet girls but they're far from the standard. Black/mahogany bleed everywhere (I had more than one person who was familiar with the breed tell me they were certainly roosters when they were young) , small, and their eggs barely make it into the medium category most days.

Add this breed to "get from breeder" only - IMHO

Last edited:
Ended up putting in the order
1. Anconca
2. Barnevelder
3. Golden laced Wyandotte
4. Speckled Sussex
5. Polish. He aready has a back up ready to take her if she doesn't fit in.

How exciting! I can't wait for spring. In April I am getting a Columbian Wyandotte, BLR Wyandotte, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Cuckoo Marans and 2 Speckled Sussex. Only 4 1/2 long months to wait now.....

Back
Top Bottom